Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Standard answer to will X tire rub with Y drop?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Standard answer to will X tire rub with Y drop?

This is whats known as the "standard answer". Too many of you peeps don't seem to understand how this works, so I'm going to try and explain it out as best I can in words, so it makes sense.

Theres so many variables involved that because guy A gets it to fit, it doesn't mean guy B will.
There's far more involved than X tire rubbing with Y drop.
The offset on the rim, the width of the rim, the alignment, the tire size, the sidewall stiffness of the tire, the shoulder design (square vs. rounded) of the tire, the actual measurement of the tire with respect to the theoretical dimensions it should be, the sag in the springs due to stereos, fat asses, blown shocks, etc...
it is absolutely impossible to look at a stack of numbers and say yes difinitively. This is why no mail order rim and tire place, or at least the reputable ones (tire rack, 1010tires, discount tire, etc) do not apply the guaranteed fitment policy to lowered cars.

You can get a bit of the way there by reading the numbers, the right offset, the right size tire, other stuff that can be read off a table, (see FAQ, tire calc, tire manufacturer's websites etc...) but then the variables all come together where there's absolutely nothing you can do put bolt them on and see if it fits, then adjust it so it does fit. Use common sense, its obvious that you aren't going to get 285s under there, same way you won't get 22's under there. But within the realm of feasible rim selection (14-19/20") and feasible tire ranges (185-225) you should be able to find a combination of rim, tire and offset that gives you a very high percentage shot of getting the wheels on the car without having to cut any sheetmetal. You essentially need to reverse engineer Honda's fit in the wheel wells. Just like reverse engineering anything.... its part trial and error.
Raise the car, adjust the alignment, roll the fenders, etc. whatever needs to be done to make the wheels fit right.

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 03-31-2006 at 05:08 AM.
Old 03-31-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
I have read through some threads where you, as well as others, state that people just gotta make em fit. I like that attitude.
Old 09-18-2006
Registered!!

I AM EM2 TOO is an unknown quantity at this point
boilermaker1
i had already read what yo had to say before i posted. was hoping someone that had any experience with 225's would reply. thanks for all the help boiiiiiii.
Old 09-18-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
And thats the answer. Yes, 225s fit, but if you searched, you'd have found just how much you have to fiddle with it to make them fit. I know it can be done, I put 225's on 8" rims and got them in there, but the clearances needed to be exact, fenders have to be rolled, alignment specs need to be dead on. Its not easy, and you are going to have to play with it. You want a sure fit, go with what honda put on the car. You wanna go crazy, pay to play the game. So read it again, 3 or 4 more times if you have to. There isn't a definitive answer.
Old 09-19-2006
Registered!!

I AM EM2 TOO is an unknown quantity at this point
ooohh la la! i'm gonna drop kick it, i'll post after I get the springs installed and let y'all know the results. yeee ha!
Old 12-30-2007
Registered!!

jakejham should not be trustedjakejham should not be trusted
Re: Standard answer to will X tire rub with Y drop?

ok i dropped the car on S techs and dropzone shocks. and have 2 15's in the trunk. its kinda low (1.7~2in)

i was wondering if 225/45/17 's will fit? i already put H&R 25mm spacers up front, maybe that will help. and if i do this i will cut the rear fenders. will it be driveable? i really like fatty tires.
Old 02-02-2008
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: Standard answer to will X tire rub with Y drop?

i run 215/50/16 (very very close stock spec) with rota slipstreams

im dropped all the way, where there is NO fender gap.

fronts rub on the plastic liner, and has almost eaten it up.

rears dont rub.

but i had to roll all fenders.

but imma get 205 next time, and i should be completely fine. 215 is a bit wide