Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

rear disc conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LikeWEEEEEEEEEE is an unknown quantity at this point
rear disc conversion?

ok who knows what parts you need and how to do a rear disc conversion...?
Old 05-01-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
The only person who has rear discs is the Hondawerx swap car. Maybe Greg knows what you need.
If I had to guess (this is a good guess):
Hubs and spindles
Discs
E-brake cables
Calipers
There's probably some brackets or fasteners you'll also need.

I would check a junk yard for an EP3. Just remove the entire lower arms of the suspension. They should bolt right in.
Old 05-01-2003
Registered!!

Deejai35 is an unknown quantity at this point
From what I've been told... the 5th gen civics had rear disc brakes, also the preludes are possible donors. But... theoretically, they should bolt right in... theoretically.
Old 05-01-2003
Registered!!

Bogus1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Deejai35
From what I've been told... the 5th gen civics had rear disc brakes
SI have disc rear brakes. IMO I would just go with a conversion kit either from AEM or Willwood.
Old 05-02-2003
#1 S2000 Fan

ViNRoCk8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Bogus1
IMO I would just go with a conversion kit either from AEM or Willwood.

I heard somewhere that the 6th Gen AEM conversion Kit fits our car.

Is that true?
Old 05-02-2003
Registered!!

speed werx is an unknown quantity at this point
you can use 02+ rear si brakea assemblies. parts run about 725 shipped. should basically bolt in. i have yet to put this on my car tho.
Old 05-02-2003
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
You may want to Upgrade the Brake booster and the Master cylinder and adjust the brake Bias Front to rear. Just like suspension, your braking system needs to be tuned to work at their Optimum potential.
Old 05-02-2003
7thgen Power Maker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to behold
TRY 99-00 SI.....OUR FRONT BRAKE STE UP IS IDENTICAL...REAR I THINK IS TOO
Old 05-02-2003
Registered!!

LikeWEEEEEEEEEE is an unknown quantity at this point
mugenracerx, ill contact you over aim sometime to discuss this if u dont mind
Old 05-03-2003
Registered!!

macrossranma is an unknown quantity at this point
as far as i know no stock rear disc brake fit our car except acura 1.7el which is only available in Canada that can bolt rite on our car
Old 05-03-2003
Registered!!

RedDragon333 will become famous soon enough
ive been in the process f doing these for a while im still piecing the things together. Im going for the rear conversiojn from the 02 SI but im still debating if i want to get the rear AEM rotors since i have the front already
Old 05-04-2003
Its a celebration bitches!

HondaLuver will become famous soon enough
hey reddragon, i think you should get the aem rears to match...i wanna get the 4 piston wilwood fronts then later get the rear discs and the 2 pistons in back. and just convert the rest from stock
Old 05-04-2003
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
Originally posted by macrossranma
as far as i know no stock rear disc brake fit our car except acura 1.7el which is only available in Canada that can bolt rite on our car
Really? the 1.7EL has rear disks? Does it help braking by a lot?
How much are the Wilwood big brake kits going for?
yeah, the 5th gen EX's had rear disks as options... I even see EX sedans with rear disk in that generation, very nice.
Old 05-05-2003
All Eyes On Z

SlammedBlueEM2 is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by djlutchi
TRY 99-00 SI.....OUR FRONT BRAKE STE UP IS IDENTICAL...REAR I THINK IS TOO
The front axles are different. The fronts won't work.
Old 05-05-2003
Registered!!

luckynumbernine is an unknown quantity at this point
hey guys. i think that four wheel discs are must on any "serious" car. why honda wishes to skimp on the rears with drums is beyond me. probably for the same reason that they continue to use a sorry sohc motor in our cars when just about every competitor in the class sports a dohc motor. anyway, aem is supposed to make a pretty decent set-up. as a previous post mentions though, i have only seen the kits for earlier model civics. i am not sure whether these will fit on a 7th gen. one other heads up>>>>>>if your still rolling stock wheels (like me) the rear disc conversion will not work. i am told that you need at least 16 in. wheels for the rotors to clear. i would love to change mine, but for that price i'll give my '02 ex to my girlfriend and put the money towards a whole new car. take care.
Old 05-05-2003
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
Originally posted by luckynumbernine
if your still rolling stock wheels (like me) the rear disc conversion will not work. i am told that you need at least 16 in. wheels for the rotors to clear. i would love to change mine, but for that price i'll give my '02 ex to my girlfriend and put the money towards a whole new car. take care.
I agree... same goes for just big brake kits, you'll need 17's. With all those changes, it might be a better idea to start with a car with rear disks and a better motor.
Old 05-05-2003
Registered!!

luckynumbernine is an unknown quantity at this point
hear hear curiousfish . i originally had some pretty big plans for my 02 ex. then i had the realization that after all the money and time spent voiding my warranty, i could just have easily saved up and made a down payment on another car that would start out just as good or better than the ex. i am partial to honda though, and am seriously considering the si (american si). the styling has really grown on me, i love the interior, the gas mileage is good, and it only requires 87 octane horse p*ss. my lil brother has a 2002 spec-v that will knock the socks off of any stock civic for roughly the same price of an ex. only thing is, his car requires premium fuel and gets horrible mileage. the si seems to have everything i want: dohc, 4 wheel discs, sunroof, ac, etc. plus the seats and steering wheel are fantastic. many people bag on the new si for being such a dog. i see it like this, is the si a racecar? HELL NO. but what honda is (not including the nsx)? hondas are sought after because of their resale value and the potential that their engines ahve to withstand some pretty heavy modification and power levels. while the b16's and b18's are highly sought after motors, i like the new k series. i rarely drive to the grocery store at around 7500 rpm anyway.
Old 05-06-2003
Registered!!

mark@ssbc is an unknown quantity at this point
We are working on both front and rear brake kits that will fit inside the stock 15" wheels. The front will upgrade you to a 2-piston aluminum caliper, a 10.5" slotted/plated rotor, braided stainless lines and high performance pads (brackets and hardware also included). The rear will be a single piston caliper with a built in parking brake and matching sloted/plated rotor. The rear will be available for both drum to disc and disc to disc (there will be separate kits for ABS and non-ABS). Should have these ready in early summer.
Old 05-06-2003

don't we already have 2 pistion in the front?, wait yes we do... one on each side... stock... and what is the point of making them fit on our car with stockies on, there is no point because our shitty firestones don't have enough grip to hold the road... if you arn't serious about you handeling, you should already have some upgraded rims...
Old 05-06-2003
Registered!!

Green Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
What if we converted RSX brakes with ours? Would that change anything and is that possible?
Old 05-06-2003
Back From The Banned!

Originally posted by HondaLuver
don't we already have 2 pistion in the front?, wait yes we do... one on each side... stock... and what is the point of making them fit on our car with stockies on, there is no point because our shitty firestones don't have enough grip to hold the road... if you arn't serious about you handeling, you should already have some upgraded rims...
I dont want to be pesimistic or anything, but if I were really serious about handling, I would have gotten a rear driver or 4WD car, not the Civic.
Old 05-06-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by mark@ssbc
We are working on both front and rear brake kits that will fit inside the stock 15" wheels. The front will upgrade you to a 2-piston aluminum caliper, a 10.5" slotted/plated rotor, braided stainless lines and high performance pads (brackets and hardware also included). The rear will be a single piston caliper with a built in parking brake and matching sloted/plated rotor. The rear will be available for both drum to disc and disc to disc (there will be separate kits for ABS and non-ABS). Should have these ready in early summer.
why make them work with the 15 in wheels. Im looking at a company that makes those rotors huge. Thats one of the things i love about mmy front brakes is the size of the rotor. I think you should upgrade those rear rotors a few in.
Old 05-06-2003

also it doesn't matter if they are slotted or there are more pistons... it is all about the surface area that is covered and how well they are ventelated... if you just upgrade your brake pump... forgot name, but you will increase your braking alot with out any other mod....
Old 05-07-2003
All Eyes On Z

Originally posted by luckynumbernine
hey guys. i think that four wheel discs are must on any "serious" car. why honda wishes to skimp on the rears with drums is beyond me. probably for the same reason that they continue to use a sorry sohc motor in our cars when just about every competitor in the class sports a dohc motor.
Reality check. You drive a low-level Honda Civic. If you want rear disc brakes and DOHC, you would've simply paid more for a car with rear disc brakes and DOHC. Honda Civics do not qualify in that class of cars just because it looks like it competes.
Old 05-07-2003
All Eyes On Z

Cool. We don't have ANY 15 inch aftermarket brakes. It's either Si conversion or bust.
Old 05-07-2003
All Eyes On Z

Originally posted by RedDragon333
why make them work with the 15 in wheels.
For performance purposes, 15 inch wheels are the best for any small/lightweight Honda. Think about it. You could naturally get more steering response with a bigger rim that's naturally wider (such as a 17x7) OR you can get a 15x7, have the same steering response from it's width, with a far lighter rim and have a faster car.

Yeah, there are lightweight, forged 17s but there is a wider selection of forged 15/16s and a better tire selection for 15 and 16 inch rims compared to 17s and up.

I say we NEED a better braking system that will work with 15s.
Old 05-07-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by RedDragon333
why make them work with the 15 in wheels. Im looking at a company that makes those rotors huge. Thats one of the things i love about mmy front brakes is the size of the rotor. I think you should upgrade those rear rotors a few in.
We already offer larger rotor kits for the Civic. Right now we have the following available:

FX2 front Big Brake kits (each includes a new aluminum 2-piston caliper):
a 12" rotor kit (requires 17" or larger wheels)
a 13" rotor kit (requires 18" or larger wheels)
Both of these are available for 1992-03 Civics.

FX4 front Big Brake kits (each includes a new aluminum 4-piston caliper):
a 13" rotor kit (requires 18" or larger wheels - may fit some 17s)
This is available for 1992-03 Civics.

Rear disc to disc big brake kit (includes a single piston caliper with built in parking brake):
a 12" rotor kit (requires 16" or larger wheels). This is avaiable for 1990-03 Civics.

We are developing the following new kits:

FX2 front Big Brake kits (includes a new aluminum 2-piston caliper):
a 11" rotor kit (fits in stock 15" wheels)

Rear drum to disc conversion kits:
a 11" rotor kit (fits in stock 15" wheels) - this will be available for both ABS and non-ABS
a 12" rotor kit (requires 16" or larger wheels) - this will be available for both ABS and non-ABS
I'm not sure what years these new kits will be available for yet.

If anyone gets the NOPI Street Performance magazine, there's a couple feature cars in the latest issue with our stuff on them (an Integra and a Civic). You can also look at the project vehicles page on our website to see what we've done (there's a couple APC cars on there).
Old 05-07-2003
Registered!!

We already offer larger rotor kits for the Civic. Right now we have the following available:

FX2 front Big Brake kits (each includes a new aluminum 2-piston caliper):
a 12" rotor kit (requires 17" or larger wheels)
a 13" rotor kit (requires 18" or larger wheels)
Both of these are available for 1992-03 Civics.

FX4 front Big Brake kits (each includes a new aluminum 4-piston caliper):
a 13" rotor kit (requires 18" or larger wheels - may fit some 17s)
This is available for 1992-03 Civics.

Rear disc to disc big brake kit (includes a single piston caliper with built in parking brake):
a 12" rotor kit (requires 16" or larger wheels). This is avaiable for 1990-03 Civics.

We are developing the following new kits:

FX2 front Big Brake kits (includes a new aluminum 2-piston caliper):
a 11" rotor kit (fits in stock 15" wheels)

Rear drum to disc conversion kits:
a 11" rotor kit (fits in stock 15" wheels) - this will be available for both ABS and non-ABS
a 12" rotor kit (requires 16" or larger wheels) - this will be available for both ABS and non-ABS
I'm not sure what years these new kits will be available for yet.

If anyone gets the NOPI Street Performance magazine, there's a couple feature cars in the latest issue with our stuff on them (an Integra and a Civic). You can also look at the project vehicles page on our website to see what we've done (there's a couple APC cars on there).
well any way you can find out what years this drum to disc conversion will be? Can calipers be purchased seperatly? I have the AEM front rotors and OEM calipers and want to upgrade soon
Old 05-07-2003
Registered!!

I think it will fit '92 and up. But I'm NOT 100% sure. This is just my best guess right now.
Old 05-07-2003
Registered!!

i need 100% sure before i buy anything. What about buying the calipers seperatly