Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Bigger Brakes - OEM options

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tonyguns is an unknown quantity at this point
Bigger Brakes - OEM options

Hello all...

First let me preface my question with some details about me. I am quite new to driving a honda that was built after 2000, so things that swap onto my car with little to no mods(OEM Parts) is a complete unknown to me.

I read the brake DIY but I do have questions.

What I want: Bigger brakes, better stopping power with an OEM, bolt on solution.

What I have: 2001 Civic Automatic Coupe with the stock motor, it Does have ABS which I want to retain.

What's been done so far: Larger diameter Eibach front and rear sway bars, Koni Sport rear shocks, 16" 35mm offset wheels and tires.

Any help would be great. I am not opposed to 5 lug options, but the real goal is to stop better, as this car's braking is **** poor.

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2016
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Bigger Brakes - OEM options

The car should brake fine, your rotors are probably glassed, and/or, your pads are made to be quiet, not a true performance pad.

Even if you grab a set of scrap yard brakes, buy new rotors and performance pads.
Old 05-09-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

but the real goal is to stop better, as this car's braking is **** poor.
Can you jam the brake pedal at highway speed and have the ABS kick in?

For Honda genuine ......RSX or SI swap?

Last edited by ezone; 05-10-2016 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-10-2016
Registered!!

tonyguns is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Can you jam the brake pedal at highway speed and have the ABS kick in?

For Honda genuine ......look into some of the 4 bolt Accord brake parts?
I have recently replaced all 4 corners with OEM stuff, I'm just unerwhelmed by the actual performance of the system as a whole. Everything does work as it should, I just find that it seems to really work harder than I'm used to. for reference, I have been driving a CRX si for nearly 20 years, one bone stock, and the other with an Entire DA(92 GSR) brake swap that could stop on a dime and give you 9 cents change.

What I like about this car is it's comfort, but it doesn't feel like a Honda used to. I'm hoping there are some spindles that can be swapped for bigger OEM calipers to improve this car's ability to stop better.

CORRECTION: I have been racing and driving CRXs daily for nearly 26 years. Holy crap I'm old.

Last edited by tonyguns; 05-10-2016 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-10-2016
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I vaguely remember there was a kit out there to utilize larger rotors with stock calipers, but I've long since forgotten where that was sold from. I think there was also a kit out there to install larger Honda OEM calipers/rotors onto the em2/es1 chassis without installing any more than an extra bracket. That, also, I've long since forgotten where that was sold.

I know my post isn't very helpful, but more of a, "yes, they're out there, somewhere," post.
Old 05-11-2016
Registered!!

XXWoodmanXX is an unknown quantity at this point

Wilwood makes a stock replacement 4-piston caliper for the front of our 7th gens that Im considering. Works with or without ABS