Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2012 Coupe Brake Pedal Travel

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
g_force58 is an unknown quantity at this point
2012 Coupe Brake Pedal Travel

Do Civics have long brake pedal travel? My 2012 coupe seems to have very long travel with spongy pedal feel. The car stops fine, stops straight and true with no pulsation in the pedal or steering wheel shake or pull. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this. The car has 41,000 miles.
Old 02-18-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2012 Coupe Brake Pedal Travel

No different from the sedan, if you can drive one or two to compare.
No matter if it has rear disc, or rear drum brakes, the pedal should feel very close to the same for either version.

Has any work been done to the brakes? Bodyshop? Suspension work? Fluid flush?
Old 02-19-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
g_force58 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply ezone. There have been no repairs to the brakes, never in an accident or body shop work. The car does have rear drum brakes. Will try to drive another car and see if there is a difference. Would it be the same with an '08 civic EX coupe? my son has one. My old Dodge Neon, a 2000 ES with 187,000 miles had better feeling brakes than the civic does at this point but it didn't have ABS.
Old 02-19-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by g_force58
Thanks for the reply ezone. There have been no repairs to the brakes, never in an accident or body shop work. The car does have rear drum brakes. Will try to drive another car and see if there is a difference. Would it be the same with an '08 civic EX coupe? my son has one.
Should be very similar if the transmission is the same (that would be the biggest difference in brake pedals I can think of).

Have your son jump in your car and try your brakes too.

Keep in mind I might drive 50+ different cars in a week (95% Hondas). I would notice when something like a brake pedal is unusually low just based on the feel and pedal travel alone, but it's hard to compare to another exact car....and I've really never measured pedal travel with a ruler.

Most of these cars will feel very similar when all is well (except maybe for a select few 03-07 Accords that seem very sensitive and touchy).

Sometimes you can sit stopped, stand on the brake pedal and you might be able to 'bury' it close to the floor, but when driving it doesn't require that much pedal movement to stop the car effectively.
Older Chevy trucks were good for that IMO. You could almost hit the carpet if you stand on the pedal-- but it stopped just fine and pedal travel wasn't unusual or excessive while driving.

My old Dodge Neon, a 2000 ES with 187,000 miles had better feeling brakes than the civic
I wouldn't compare to that car. Compare to another Civic.
Old 02-20-2016

Usual causes for low pedal feel might include warped rotors, seized slide pins, and seized pads.