Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

04 Honda Civic Brake Drum/Shoes

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Junquito89 is an unknown quantity at this point
04 Honda Civic Brake Drum/Shoes

Purchased brand new Brake Drums, along with the Brake Shoes from the local Advanced Auto Parts several weeks back, but have yet to assemble them. As i am taking them out to see what goes where, i noticed that although the Shoes themselves attach to the Wheel hub i am having issues adjusting the Shoes inside the Brake Drum (too large!). Someone had told me that's normal upon assembling do to the Brake Adjuster. ANY IDEA AS INTO WHY/OR THIS IS OCCURRING? is it normal, shall i get them rechecked by Advanced Auto Parts to be certain they had given me the correct Brake Shoes for my Vehicle (which i was specific with them by the way), or what??
Old 10-01-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 04 Honda Civic Brake Drum/Shoes

Better look and see if you actually need rear brakes first.
They can last almost forever.
Many times, the rear shoes will outlast the cars they are attached to.

If you really do need to bother with the brakes, compare new parts to old before freaking out.

You can't see how all the parts fit together when it's just set of shoes and a drum on the floor.
Old 10-01-2015
Registered!!

Greatly do appreciate the feedback! That's exactly what i was doing (putting ALL the parts on the floor) to see the layout! Individuals i know also stated that there's really no reason to exchange your Rear Brake Drum/Shoes as they can last a long time, but figured I'd assemble them anyway cause i had purchased them along with my Rotors (might as well put ALL the Brake Parts up-to-date), and it will also allow me to have some knowledge in regards to assembling the for future references. Thanks bud!
Old 10-01-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Junquito89
Greatly do appreciate the feedback! That's exactly what i was doing (putting ALL the parts on the floor) to see the layout! Individuals i know also stated that there's really no reason to exchange your Rear Brake Drum/Shoes as they can last a long time, but figured I'd assemble them anyway cause i had purchased them along with my Rotors (might as well put ALL the Brake Parts up-to-date), and it will also allow me to have some knowledge in regards to assembling the for future references. Thanks bud!
Do one brake at a time so you can use the assembled one as reference.
Old 10-01-2015
Registered!!

Yeah, figured I'd prepare myself prior to doing so. Already have ALL the Brake Hardware Kit as well (Springs, Etc.) along with the Brake Spring Pliers for the return springs. Hopefully, that'll be enough for now until i am actually prepared for the task itself.
Old 10-01-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Junquito89
cause i had purchased them along with my Rotors (might as well put ALL the Brake Parts up-to-date),
Just because you bought them doesn't mean it needs them.

Not worth installing "just because" IMO, you may be inviting troubles you would never have with OE. Much in the aftermarket is junk..

JMHO, YMMV
Old 10-01-2015
Registered!!

Still have the receipt can always return them really only needed the Rotors for my front. Thanks!
Old 10-02-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ezone
Just because you bought them doesn't mean it needs them.

Not worth installing "just because" IMO, you may be inviting troubles you would never have with OE. Much in the aftermarket is junk..

JMHO, YMMV
This is true, I got a Centric kit for mine and the springs retainers are way softer metal and bent more easily, I ended up reusing most of the springs and such, because used OEM was still better.