Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

need some oem wheel/tire help

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: need some oem wheel/tire help

but most of the newer LRR tires are about the same weight as normal tires. they just have different compounds and tread patterns. ive never seen anything like the insight oem tire thats only 13lbs and some of worst reviews ever lol.
Old 07-29-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

would you believe me if i say the best LRR are in the truck tires? (18 wheelers, i mean :P).
The comment still stands, my MPG did improve in HWY when i used my stockie steelies. It drops a bit when i do more stop-and-go

Last edited by sdaidoji; 07-29-2011 at 09:35 PM. Reason: said too much...
Old 07-31-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
green01civic will become famous soon enoughgreen01civic will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by gearbox
these tires overall got great reviews and yes i know they are 14s and have a T speed rating. i would never go 100mph anymore so not too worried about that.
Any legitimate tire shop wouldn't put those on your Civic (For liability reasons mainly, and in some states it may be against the law. I'd call ahead and ask if the place you're looking to get to mount them would do it...). Secondly, the tires only rated for a "B" temperature grade? Not a wise choice if you live in the heat .

I think you'd be better off with a set of General Altimax HP's over the Pirelli's, there's a reason they're a best seller on tirerack.
Old 07-31-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

why tho? the ex and lx are practically the same car. they only put 15s on the ex for looks lol. same engine and everything. who really can say with a serious face that a civic can do much more than 100mph anyway. i read the general altimax specs (did you mean the RT model) and they do look pretty good for 14s. why so cheap tho? tires around $50 worry me. and where did you see the temp ratings? nvm i found the temp ratings and the general is the only one with A temp. AND the generals are only 17 lbs so that saves me another 8 lbs total just for tires which isnt bad.
Old 07-31-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

The only issue I've had with any reputable tire shops are when tires differ in load ratings. Speed and temperature ratings, although important, are not mandated by law to match or exceed OEM specs (please show me, otherwise).

It's like downgrading to H or V rated tires from Z, W or Y rated tires. This is not an unusual occurance. Happens all the time.

Temperature ratings have almost a direct correlation to the speed rating (it is not always the case, but is more so than not). Sidewall strength contributes, because flexing generates heat.

With that in mind, heat is the number one cause of blowouts. It is typically due to one of two reasons. Number one - underinflation. Number two - exceeding the speed rating. That's why both, typically, go hand in hand.

Buy a lower speed rating, it's the buyer's responsibility to stay below the speed. Buy a lower load rating, it's the seller's respnsibility to refuse a sale/mount. The buying cannot easily remove weight from his/her car to meet the tire specifications.
Old 07-31-2011
Premium Member

guess i will ask the dealer here to see what they say. i expect the usual answer that 14s wont work because the car came with 15 but who knows. the speed thing is not a big deal for me. i keep my tires around 32psi and check monthly, and i doubt i would ever go above 80mph and that would be on rare instances on certain roads where the limit is higher. 95% of the time we are talking 65-70mph. about the load ratings, is there that much of a difference between 14s and 15s tires? and between lx and ex?i dont want to get all the rims and tires only to find out there is a technicality and they say it wont work or something. if its gonna be such a problem i will just get 15 inch steelies.
Old 08-01-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Every one of them relates to heat. If you take corners like I do, they will heat more than usual, even with slower than the speed limit. If you don't bend your tire enough that the lettersa have scruff marks and you don't loose air for unbeading the tire from the wheels during a test run (don't ask how I know...) A normal lower spd rate should do. I use : at the least because I need to... Load follow max notes - no way around weight... A puncture from a rock in a less than optimal load rating is not really warranted.
Old 08-01-2011
EM2ti

maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
Every one of them relates to heat. If you take corners like I do, they will heat more than usual, even with slower than the speed limit. If you don't bend your tire enough that the lettersa have scruff marks and you don't loose air for unbeading the tire from the wheels during a test run (don't ask how I know...) A normal lower spd rate should do. I use : at the least because I need to... Load follow max notes - no way around weight... A puncture from a rock in a less than optimal load rating is not really warranted.
LOL. My front passenger side tire lost 15lbs of pressure, last week on a "spirited" drive. I have no idea how that happened.

Last edited by maxtierney; 08-02-2011 at 12:19 AM.
Old 08-02-2011
Premium Member

yeah im worried about the cornering and stuff too. im not exactly easy on the old car lol. esp on those winding roads. maybe this whole weight thing isnt so bad, i mean i had two other people in the car last night (300lbs) and felt like the car was actually driving better than with just me. maybe i will stick with steelies and 15s. im looking at some decent tires or if anyone has suggestions for stock 15 size post up please. these fuzions i have now are complete garbage. luckily i put on about 10k miles and they are just about done so at least they got used up lol.
Old 08-02-2011
EM2ti

Depending on your price range, the Michelin MXV4 is one of the few V rated tires in a 195/60-15 size. You can go with a wider tire, but that would be a little overkill on a 5.5 or 6" steelie (not sure of the exact width, its been a while). 620AA rating doesn't hurt either. My only other experience with 15" tires in a stock size are with Bridgestone Potenza G019s and Goodyear Eagle GTs. The G019s are H rated with a 460 wear rating. The GTs are another V rated tire with a 400 wear rating. The G019s are a decent tire for the money. Doesn't excel at any one trait, but is an all around performer. Good feedback, asymmetric tread resists tramlining, linear break characteristics when pushed. I knew when the tires would lose traction, no surprises. The GTs were similar in overall characteristics, just stepped up one notch. only compromise was that the Goodyears wore faster, as expected. Always lowered the tire pressures for both, during winter months, to improve water dispersion. I'm partial to Yokohamas, the YK520s are worth a look for a all season touring H rated tire with 520 wear. The Avid Envigor is a better H rated option, with a 560 rate. Lastly, the TRZ is a tire I currently have on my Odyssey, with a 700 wear rate. This particular size carries a T rating, but is a long wear option. The Falken 512/912 fraternal twins have decent characteristics, but aren't powerhouses. Mid range options at this size and in terms of cost. I've used the FK451 and 452s, and these were better tires compared to the 12s in the larger sizes. Pirellis are aren't spectacular in this size. P4 and P5s aren't really anything to write home about or worth it IMO, unless you get 'em at a price you can't refuse. People swear by Kumhos, but I'm not fond of anything Korean, except for BBQ, Soju, Oscars and female golfers. Haha.

Last edited by maxtierney; 08-02-2011 at 01:33 AM.
Old 08-02-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

between FH GT and potenza G019, get the firehawks. won't go into details i use FH GT
Old 08-02-2011
Premium Member

thanks guys, im more confused than ever lol
Old 08-02-2011
EM2ti

LOL. Sorry to add to the confusion.
Old 08-02-2011
EM2ti

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
between FH GT and potenza G019, get the firehawks. won't go into details i use FH GT
Thanks for the tip, I could have saved a few bucks. I know that Bridgestone and Firestone are under one roof, but after the mediocre experience I had with the 380s (I think that was the OEM model), I steered clear of the Firestone name. Sorta like Cougar vs. Mustang. Or Camaro vs Firebird. Same, but different. That's the logic I use to convince myself. Haha.

I was actually refering to the Goodyear Eagle GTs,vs the Firehawk GTs. Or the GT-HRs, which I've also used. Too many GTs out there.

How was your experience with the Firehawks? I thought the G019s were a decent tire. Not grippy, but I liked them because I always knew when they were going to break free. With that I knew how hard to push.

Unlike the Pirelli Neros, which had decent grip, but gave you little or no feedback on when they were at the limit. No squeal, no scrub. Just a HELLO, your tail is now coming around to greet you, or no more turning for you, mister.
Old 08-02-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

the FH GT are OK in dry, but i feel they are kinda... slippy in wet. besides that, like mentioned, I could push them enough to loose air from the beads when they moved on the wheel (mine was 6 PSI loss), so enough dry grip.
Yeah, i knew you were talking about the GY, just thought i would throw the FH in there .
The FH Wide Oval i use on the Miata are better, but more expensive. They have better grip, good grip in wet, and like any of the mid-level FS, they perform well.

380?!? well... they are just... low level, more for life/confort and "do never push me or i will screeeaaaam!" than anything else... cheap for sure, maybe quiet, but not for me, for sure, not nearly the grip i require... the blizzak's had more grip...
like the older indy 500 (the newer is better)
Old 08-03-2011
Registered!!

green01civic will become famous soon enoughgreen01civic will become famous soon enough

yeah im worried about the cornering and stuff too. im not exactly easy on the old car lol. esp on those winding roads.
First, let me share a Fuzion HRi story with you. Not only are they the worst tires I've ever driven on... I was waiting until the tread was low or before the first snow to replace them, (I hated them, but wanted to at least get some life out of them) and never got the chance. '04 Elantra GT, mint condition (people would always comment how it looks and smells new, I loved it). My wife took it to a meeting one day, and on an offramp she experienced oversteer and hit two concrete barriers (left side barrier, then right side barrier). Totalled it. Luckily she was fine (some bruises, but nothing serious).

I would never put Fuzion tires on any vehicle.

That said, maybe you should pick a tire you feel comfortable with and then match it to a rim, instead of trying to pick a rim and matching it to a tire. (Or stick with the steelies, as the OEM size gives you a wide selection to choose from.)

Previously, I did mean the Altimax HP tire (and NOT the Altimax RT). I'll refrain from mentioning the rest of my suggestions again, lol.
Old 08-03-2011
Premium Member

alright well its looking more like steelies then lol. the insights wouldve been nice but i have a feeling they will be too small for my driving style. will prolly be going with the generals which i havent tried yet but heard good things. i loved my old bridgestone turanza LS-H tires back in the day. too bad they dont make em anymore. went over 60k miles, super sharp steering like a bmw, lexus quality quiet ride, and never got a flat. these fuzions ive already had 3 of the tires patched and two replaced early on due to something poking in the sidewall. i almost want to say the fuzions are worse than the oem firestone tires, but i wont go that far lol. steelies are 15x6 right?
Old 08-04-2011
Premium Member

well im having some trouble when i priced out the parts. steelies there is only one kind for $50, but hubcabs have two part numbers and one is way more money than the other. same with lug nuts, there are two different kinds. anyone know which is the right one for the ex? i was hoping to just get the cheaper ones.

i also just found out insight rim is only 14x5 which is a whole inch narrower and wouldve been a really bad idea.
Old 08-04-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

huuunh. I simply took the caps out just after getting the car. Not even sure how they look like or how good or bad they are... I liked the black-in-black look, so i never bothered to put them in. I could just ship them to you (I am in NC right now, so not sure how long it will take, though). Not sure of the lug nuts.
Old 08-04-2011
Premium Member

thanks, im actually trying to decide whether to use caps or not...may be easier to clean them in winter without caps.
Old 08-06-2011
Registered!!

justinsagely25 is an unknown quantity at this point

I need some cheap oem wheels...... need to get some wheels quickly so I can mount my high performance all wheathers.
Old 08-06-2011
EM2ti

thanks, im actually trying to decide whether to use caps or not...may be easier to clean them in winter without caps.
I'd apply a couple of coats of semi-gloss or satin over the factory black. I ran steelies for a while, before the BBK. Brake dust and the environment eat up the paint pretty quick. Leaving it dull. As for the caps, a few coats of wheelwax help to repel dust and grime.

As for the different prices, one is OEM and the other is OES.
Old 08-06-2011
Premium Member

thanks for the tip. yeah i plan to wax the caps whenever i do the paint. and i think im going with michelin primacy MXV4 tires in stock size and there is a rebate for them. are they pretty decent?
Old 08-07-2011
EM2ti

I've heard nothing but positive reviews for the MXV4s. I'd run Michelins all the time if I could afford it. Haha.
Old 08-07-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

just don't hit any curb - the new LRR tires are scariringly thin in the SW... I saw a section of the MXV4's. wow!
Old 08-07-2011
Premium Member

yeah im sick of cheap tires to be honest. and replacing them every 1-2 yrs because they suck. i think over time the michelins will be better worth the money.

im pretty good with curbs lol. never hit one since owning the car. the mxv4 techically is not a full LRR tire like the hybrids have, altho it does have "green-x" compound which i guess is different than a normal tire.
Old 08-09-2011
Premium Member

i got my steelies and tires installed today yay! if anyone is bored, read on. i ended up with oem 15 inch steelies (15x6) with 2002 civic hubcaps and general altimax HP tires.

first the steelies - ive missed them so much! so many benefits to these rims i cant believe. they are so clean and now my car has that "new" look to it again. i love the hubcap 7 spoke si style design. not only that, but they look huge! like i have 16s or 17s now compared to the other rims. the car looks way better and more aggressive esp from the side angles. another thing, the braking noise is almost nonexistant now. no more grinding noises when coming to a stop or using the ebrake. and way less brake dust on the paint!! my favorite part which means i dont have to detail the car nearly as often. the mostly closed design of the steelies keeps majority of the dust from escaping. and it very nicely covers all the rusty parts of the brake rotors and ugly calipers. the hubcaps are super easy to clean, just wipe them off with a rag in the front instead of scrubing and reaching in the whole rim like with the old ones. and in the winter they will keep water out and work better in the wet negatives, i guess would be the weight at 18lbs but to be honest i couldnt feel any difference in the way the car drives. considering the new tires are only 17 lbs (old were 19 lbs), and the old rims were 14 lbs, i actually only gained about 8 lbs of rotating weight compared to before. so yeah steelies rock! lol

now for the tires - the ride home from the dealer was like driving in the snow, then i realized later they inflated them to 40psi haha. i lowered them to 35psi and went for another drive tonight. i know new tires need 1-2k miles of "break-in" time before they reach full potential, but these tires are already making me smile. ofcourse you have to realize im coming from garbage fuzion tires...but still. road noise with the new tires is practically gone. im just amazed how quiet these are. you can hear some tire noises but it sounds muffled and smooth instead of rough and annoying. guess i dont have a bad wheel bearing afterall. they made me realize just how loud the exhaust is now. its the only thing i can hear. prolly will be going back to stock soon on that one as well for peace and quiet another huge plus with these tires is the ride quality. it feels like i went back to stock suspension and raised the car back up. these tires are CUSHY like a luxury car. even at 35psi it feels like driving on a cloud. i cant believe how soft they are over bumps compared to the old tires at 30psi feeling like im driving on a gravel road. amazingly soft and comfortable. the car actually feels refined again. now i dont want to comment too much on the cornering response, but already they have worn enough that turning the wheel is fairly responsive. so im keeping my style easy going for now and they seem to be doing well. ive never had directional tires before either but they feel very planted. the tires also look BEEFY almost like truck tires. they are so aggressive you cant believe. after a coat of adam's vrt protectant, they look amazing. very nice design and tread pattern. they even seem lower profile than the older ones even tho its still stock size. overall im super happy and thanks to the member that recommended these. i havent been on the freeway yet but im hoping for that smooth ride i remember with no shakes on the oem steelies. crosses fingers lol. dont really know about gas mileage either but its not a huge factor for me anyway. i doubt it would change much.
Old 08-10-2011
EM2ti

Nice. Need pics! (haha - I think that's the first time I've ever asked anyone for pics for an un-mod /going stock),
Old 08-10-2011
Premium Member

lol yeah i can snap a few today. was waiting for the right light to get the tire in it too. it took so long to install it was almost dark when i got back.
Old 08-10-2011
Premium Member

ooh garage pic for now til i find a nice place for a photoshoot. im loving these rims/tires. the car feels so smooth again like when i drove it off the dealer lot.

Quick Reply: need some oem wheel/tire help