Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Brake Problem...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Brake Problem...

Okay, some of you from text chat knows about this...
It's been going on for about 3~4 months now

It started with slight squeal, but has progressed into a grind, and it's driving me crazy
Ever since I've changed my brake pads 4 months ago, with some hawk+ performance pads, my brakes have been screaming at me, and the brake dust is near unbearable from these pads (yeah, i know, they are known for high brake dust, even on hawk's website)

But this grinding is driving me mad,
It sounds like metal on metal, but i took everything apart maybe 10+ times and do not see any metal contact.

The best way to describe it, is that it sounds like if you had a pebble or rock stuck in between your pads and it's making a horrible grinding sound.
I can't seem to capture it on video because the background noise is too windy lately.

The thing is, it only happens on the passenger side, I've tried swapping the drivers side pads with the passenger side pads, same problem, only the passenger side screams.
My best bet is some kind of caliper problem, as there was some unusual wear on the OEM pads on the driver side

I've bedded the brakes the first day I installed them, and no problems seem to be apparent, even thoroughly flushed the brakes
I've removed the caliper and pads way more than I should need to.
The only thing I haven't done, is resurface the rotors, but I doubt that will turn out to be a persistent problem.

Driving it when it's absolutely ice cold seems the problem subsides for a while,
And also sometimes a few hard brakes will solve it temperarily
It really is an on and off problem

I'm dying, so help me out guys.
I'm ready to toss out these pads and rotors, and just grab a new set, but that is the absolute last option

Last edited by Kennykid2002; 05-03-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-03-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: Brake Problem...

Rebuild or replace the caliper. Sounds like the piston is sticking. May also be a warped rotor.
Old 05-04-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

you realize these are racing pads right? so yeah they will be very dusty and very noisy. its not for a daily driver. shouldve gone with the HPS>

if it is the pad dragging on the rotor, just go for a drive somewhere that you dont need to press the brake pedal. try at least to get 1 mile and driving above 25mph. stop the car with the ebrake and feel the rotors. if theyre hot, pads are sticking.
Old 05-04-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Either if they're sticking or not, grinding only occurs during braking (moderate to harsh braking I might add) if i'm just dragging the brakes, no noise, but i would need 5x the stopping distance

Then again, it only happens on passenger side
Old 05-07-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Minor update....

Just got finished tearing my brakes apart again, cleaned everything down, removed my OEM shims and added antisqueal.
Drove it around the block, no noise...so far
I'll see when I drive longer distance tomorrow

Btw, when I tore everything apart...I did notice one thing...
In the driver side, lodge between the CV boot....wrapped up like hair in a vacuum...
was about maybe 4 or 5 yards of fishing string......
Don't know how that got there, but I removed most of it, dunno if that was the primary problem, but doubt it.
Anywho, good to know that's out of there too.
Old 05-07-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,203 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

anything left of the fisherman?

Your car now is officially called shark
Old 05-07-2011
Kenny the Ricer

SHARK BAIT HOO HA HA!

Sorry, couldn't resist
Old 05-07-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,203 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

be happy, now you know that your car have enough power to drag a fisherman to the ocean
Old 05-09-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

hey kenny, its not the cliper or anything, its the pads.

about half way (or around there) the pads start making this crazy grinding noise like you said. they are race inspired pads so they are really harsh.

so there is nothing wrong with ur brakes, calipers, rotors, lines, MC...etc

i know this because i went through a pair of the hawk HPS+ and it drove my crazy toward the end.

i finally wore them out (a lot of canyon driving) and got the HAWK HPS (just regular hps, not the plus one) and im almost done with them and they have yet to make any noise.
Old 05-09-2011

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
Minor update....

Just got finished tearing my brakes apart again, cleaned everything down, removed my OEM shims and added antisqueal.
Drove it around the block, no noise...so far
I'll see when I drive longer distance tomorrow
you're not suppose to put the OEM shims back on for the hps/hps+. they have their own vibration shim attached to the back and its already glued on.

like so:

Name:  Picture003-1.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  136.5 KB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Picture003-1.jpg (136.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 06-10-2011
Registered!!

clueo8 is an unknown quantity at this point

I stumbled upon this forum looking for anyone else who had the front Hawk HPS pads (I bought these from autopartsdealer.com: HAW-HB361F-622, I don't think they are the plus ones). I have a '07 Si Sedan. I replaced my factory pads myself and I am noticing that my drivers side is always full of dust. Passenger side is dust-free. I am also noticing the grinding mentioned on this post, as if the brakes are always rubbing against the rotors. I did not replace the rotors. I did flush the brake fluid.

One thing I did run into when installing the driver side outside pad was that it would not fit in the caliper easily. I left the thin metal clips on the top and bottom of the caliper as I'm pretty sure they needed to stay on. My brother and I had to grind down one of the nipples with a dremel (factory defect possibly?) The passenger side's pads slid right in... Maybe I'm having an issue because of the defect on my drivers side? Do you have an equal amount of dust on each side? I like to keep a clean car, but this dust is killing me! These aren't the plus ones, I don't race... Just daily driver...
Old 06-10-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Yeah....theres major brake dust on either side,
I had no problems installing either side with the shims on, and mine doesnt have bumps on the back plate

I'm thinking about just buying some factory pads instead...i hate this dust
Old 06-10-2011
Registered!!

Brianthelion is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not super familiar with hawk pads but I do know with some performance pads there's a inner and out pad sometimes the only way to tell is the "squealer" is generally supposed to be on the inside
Sometimes the outer pad has a shim
Just a thought
Old 06-10-2011
Kenny the Ricer

the inner pads are always the ones with the indicator
Old 06-11-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
I'm thinking about just buying some factory pads instead...i hate this dust
I agree... The website says they are low noise, low dust...

I might be experiencing something different since the dust is only on my drivers side. I took the driver side apart yesterday after my post and noticed that there was alot of dust on the outer pad, inside the center groove, and that was the pad that we had to dremel... I tried calling Hawk, but their phone just kept ringing and ringing... no answer. These are lifetime warranty; how does that even work? You will always wear your pads out, you just keep calling them up and saying you need new ones?
Old 06-11-2011
Kenny the Ricer

I think it's warranty for defects, not normal wear and tear
Old 06-12-2011

try getting some ceramics duralast gold brake pads from autozone. they actually perform really well and have a low brake dust output. i put some of my friends civic a few months ago. pretty impressssed.
Old 06-25-2011
Registered!!

I ended up emailing Hawk and they sent me 4 new pads. They suspect that one of the pads I had issues with was a HPS+ one instead of a regular HPS. When I change them tomorrow, I will check the back of the pad to see if I can still read the wording on it...