Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

HAWK HPS brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kryngle is an unknown quantity at this point
HAWK HPS brake pads

Hey all. I did a search and found some good info but just wanted to get some updated thoughts on these Hawk HPS brake pads. I got me a 2001 Acura EL so I will be puttin on a set on all four corners. Wanted to know if y'all can give me the pros and cons of these pads. Im hearin that they grind at low speeds and what not, hopefully they don't lol. But yeah, all input is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-31-2009
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: HAWK HPS brake pads

Great pads, low dust, low noise, smooth/firm stopping power. Had EBC greenstuff pads prior which were good too but SUPER dusty.
Old 03-31-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

they don't grind at all wonderful pads I absolutely love them. HP+ are also good but require a bit of heat in them before they start working
Old 03-31-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

less dust than oem?
Old 03-31-2009
Registered!!

I'm sorry I think it was the HP+ that people said was grindin. And low dust as well? Like what Gearbox said, lower than OEM???
Old 03-31-2009
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about

You'll still get a fair amount of brake dust of HPS pads. I have these with brembo blanks. After a few weeks of driving. You can clearly see the difference between the rims on the front of my car, when compared to the rear. Front rims are much more dirty, due to the brake dust. Pads are relatively good for brake dust though.

Also, I would say these pads are much better than OEM. I think they are an improvement over OEM, but don't expect a vast improvement.
Old 03-31-2009
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about

You'll still get a fair amount of brake dust of HPS pads. I have these with brembo blanks. After a few weeks of driving. You can clearly see the difference between the rims on the front of my car, when compared to the rear. Front rims are much more dirty, due to the brake dust. Pads are relatively good for brake dust though.

Also, I would say these pads aren't much better than OEM. I think they are an improvement over OEM, but don't expect a vast improvement.

Last edited by phuviano; 03-31-2009 at 11:35 PM.
Old 03-31-2009
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

Dbl post ftl

there is a really big difference between hps and oem's they don't cook any were near as fast. of course this is not going to be noticeable unless your are hard on your brakes or driving your car hard and have been know to cook the pads.
Old 04-01-2009
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by gearbox
less dust than oem?
yes less dust than OEM. i installed oem pads for my best friend's civic and he has more dust after 2 week than mine.

it also stop ALOT better than oem pads...

JUST MAKE SURE YOU GET THE "HAWK HPS PADS" AND NOT THE "HAWP HPS+ PADS"

the "plus" pads are very very very squeeky, loud, and grind.....but they stop like a dream...just not for daily driver...it will drive u mad.... trust me. personal experience.
Old 04-01-2009
Registered!!

mrplow123456 will become famous soon enoughmrplow123456 will become famous soon enough

the only cons to these pads are the price. depending on where you get them from, they could be close to $100. I personally love the pads and will never buy any other pads again. And yeah the HP+ are only for street racing but to use them u almost need mudding tires or you will always lock up your brakes. I've had one set last me about 45k miles without making any noises and they have saved me and my car several times.

And yes these are better then oem in all ways and maybe even cheaper if you were to get them from a dealer.
Old 04-01-2009
Registered!!

http://www.corsportusa.com/store/cat...roducts_id=164

$58 us

You need the fronts more then anything else

your guys pads are cheap! I have to run prelude/ teggy type R pads up front not many people want to go less than $80 on those
Old 04-01-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i will try them next time.
Old 04-01-2009
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light

If you wash your car often, you shouldnt have to worry about the dust.
Old 04-01-2009
Premium Member

it gets very dusty after one drive to the store maybe 5 miles and the whole sides of the car are covered in black. so i actually have to try and wipe down the whole car everytime i drive somewhere to keep the car looking clean. after several trips theres so much dust it looks like my paint is messed up like it got scraped off.
Old 04-02-2009

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

^thats cuz you have glossy black rims.... black + dust = see it from a mile away
Old 04-02-2009
Registered!!

mrplow123456 will become famous soon enoughmrplow123456 will become famous soon enough

Yeah I love a mild metallic silver. The dust just makes it look a little darker and is hard to tell the color difference until after about a month of heavy driving.
Old 04-02-2009
Premium Member

well actually the rims dont look that bad. its the car body panels that look terrible with all the dust on em. black dust on black rims is not bad, but black dust on silver paint is more noticable.
Old 04-02-2009

Originally Posted by gearbox
well actually the rims dont look that bad. its the car body panels that look terrible with all the dust on em. black dust on black rims is not bad, but black dust on silver paint is more noticable.
really? i dont see any dust from my hawk pads on my body fenders/panels. only on my rims, but jsut lightly.
Old 04-02-2009
Registered!!

...I don't know how you are using your brakes to stop or what kind you are using but something is wrong. I have never seen brake dust on paint before, and you better figure out whats is causing it because soon those little spots are going to be permenant.
Old 04-02-2009
Premium Member

hmm well idk to be honest. its oem pads and brembo blank rotors. i had same problem with oem rotors too. i normally brake going no higher than 35mph. almost seems like the car is static charged or something and draws dirt to it. and its the whole sides of the car upto the front fender and back to the rear bumper. after a few days even the rear of the car has brake dust. i thought it was from having open aftermarket rims instead of the oems that would normally trap the dust.
Old 04-02-2009
Registered!!

Damn, Im in Toronto and did a few shoppin around and shops that sell em. The cheapest I found so far is $90 for fronts and $96 for rears. Dammit. And if thats the case it wouldn't make sense orderin a set from a U.S. vender jus cause the exchange rate would jack it back up to the price these shops be sellin em. Shoooooooooot!!!
Old 04-02-2009
Registered!!

Speakin of brake dust, I have noticed wit the Benz that they have MASSIVE dust from brakin on the front wheels. I mean some SERIOUS dust. anyone ever notice that as well???
Old 04-02-2009
Registered!!

Gear, are you washing your car a certain way or do you live under power lines? I noticed dust gathers on my car a lot but its due to the environment I drive through and I also live near a place where they park construction vehicles.
Old 04-02-2009

Originally Posted by kryngle
Damn, Im in Toronto and did a few shoppin around and shops that sell em. The cheapest I found so far is $90 for fronts and $96 for rears. Dammit. And if thats the case it wouldn't make sense orderin a set from a U.S. vender jus cause the exchange rate would jack it back up to the price these shops be sellin em. Shoooooooooot!!!
ebay.......ebay is ur firend. u can get it for 60shipped.
Old 04-02-2009
Registered!!

Just get the fronts and save up for the rears later your not going to notice the rears as much as the fronts.

And benz are heavy most of them are at least twice the weight of our cars if not 3 or 4 times the weight heavier car equals more brake.

and civic's love to play in the dirt lol
Old 04-02-2009
Premium Member

i usually just wash it with a hose and then dry with the wiper blade squeegee. but its so nice here it maybe rains once a week so most of the time i can try to dust the car with a cloth but it doesnt really work too well so i end up using quick detail spray. being a desert i guess its pretty dusty around here too, but most of whats on the car isnt brown, its black brake dust. i dont see powerlines either nearby, and it only gets dusty while driving.

some cars look filthy cause they never wash it and have a year of brake dust on the front rims. i saw an rx8 where the front two wheels were so black i thought they were different rims at first.
Old 04-02-2009
Registered!!

Yeah same here. I mean, I can wipe the dirt off the car if I let it sit but I can never physically see the dirt til its on the rag. The other problem might be if you guys have a lot of heat storms, the car could become static charger?!?! dunno but the black stuff might be wheel shine too. If you use the gel stuff that flings off really easy. also my brake dust is usually like a light gray.
Old 04-02-2009
Premium Member

nah its not tire shine. i use liquid stuff that soaks in and thats on rare occasions. i can see it on the car and after i wipe, the whole towel is covered and usually ruined even after washing it. and wiping doesnt really clean the car anyway, alot of the dust just moves around and gets stuck on the car in different spots. i tried california wax duster but it constantly leaves streaks and sucks. tried waxless duster and same problem as the cloth, it just drags the dust everywhere. the car def feels static charged, i just dont know how to fix it.

Last edited by gearbox; 04-02-2009 at 04:16 PM.