Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Rear Disk E-Brake Cable Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007
Lost in the Matrix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transformer_Guy is on a distinguished road
Rear Disk E-Brake Cable Problem

I tried searching around to see if anyone else had this problem but couldnt find any answers so hopefully someone can help me out. I am in the process of finishing off my 5 bolt conversion and the ebrake cables that I have from a RSX type S do not seem to fit properly. Im pretty sure I have the cables on the proper side because the one on the drivers side has the letter L and the other has R. Also, the brackets dont look like they would mount properly if they were switched around.

Heres my problem. When I have the cables mounted, the drivers side cable does not seem to be long enough to hook up to the ebrake handle inside the car. The passenger side seems to fit fine but has an extra bracket that has no where else to bolt up to (the extra bracket is between the last bracket before the hole that goes into the car and the end of the cable that attaches to the handle). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-28-2007
I brake for hairy Hawaiian midgets

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
manahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rear Disk E-Brake Cable Problem

i'm not sure of a solution to your problem, but i do know one thing...

...pictures are worth a thousand words, and do help when asking for help. so those who have done this may be able to better understand your situation. (you may have the wrong bracket in somewhere, where that extra one should be...but then again, i don't know. I don't make my LEGO models without the instructions)
Old 10-29-2007
Registered!!

Boggie6868 should not be trusted

They pretty much won't line up with where they would normally bolt with the stock em2 cables. As for not being long enough, you need to drop the ebrake carrier all the way to the bottom. Then hook up the ebrake lines, and readjust the carrier.
Old 10-29-2007
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

hooking up the brake cables can be a pain there usually is one that goes on really easy and the other one, well get your self a pair of vise grips maybe even a friend and pull that cable with all you got to get it into the carrier it was a pain to get mine in once you have in tighten up the carrier and start using your e-brake you are probably going to have to tighten it up in a week or two
Old 10-29-2007
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

install the cable on the adjuster first, then bolt the cable to the car and readjust it. It was the only way I was able to get it to fit on mine.
Old 10-29-2007
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice

Originally Posted by skipbarber
install the cable on the adjuster first, then bolt the cable to the car and readjust it. It was the only way I was able to get it to fit on mine.
yup thats how i did mine. it still was a pain.
Old 10-29-2007
Premium Member

disturbed24st is an unknown quantity at this point

I used Acura EL cables for my rear disc conversion.They bolt up just like factory on the EM2,but shipping was a bit pricey since I had to order them from a Canadian Acura dealer.
Old 10-29-2007
Lost in the Matrix

Thanks for the reply guys.
I tried installing them again tonight and this time I tried bolting up all the brackets that I could. The passenger side still has the extra bracket dangling between the last bracket and the interior. I checked on my old drum set up and there are only 3 brackets for my old ebrake cable and 4 on the type-s so I guess that should be right. The drivers side is still giving me problems. I bolted all 3 brackets up to the underbody and managed to get the cable to hook up to the ebrake handle but it causes the cable to be fully applied with the ebrake handle down. There is no slack in the cable for me to get it to hook onto the part on the caliper and even if there was a little bit more slack, the brakes would be fully applied with the ebrake handle at rest. I will try to get pics up soon.
Old 10-30-2007
Registered!!

kasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura about

^^ that's normal. Just ziptie it to your rear control arm.
Old 11-02-2007
ThE CoRRupToR

dru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nice

Originally Posted by kasimmmmm
^^ that's normal. Just ziptie it to your rear control arm.
I just zip tied the cable to one of the holes on the frame......
Old 11-03-2007
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah when I got mine installed I had no slack in the line so what I did was tighten everything up and the yank the e-brake a couple times to stretch the cable out. it all depends on what car you got the cables from and who the last driver was some people don't put the e-brake on tight and others do that is why some people's brake cables go on really easy and others are just a royal pain.
Old 11-06-2007
Lost in the Matrix

Heres my update,

last week, I attempted it again and figured a way to do it. The drivers side was the one that was giving me problems and I still wasnt able to get the cable to fit with all the brackets bolted to the underbody. I first hooked the cable to the caliper and then to the ebrake handle. I was able to hook up the 2 brackets that were closest to the caliper side and I left the bracket that is closest to the ebrake cable off. There was enough tension on the cable to prevent it from hanging low underneath so I think it will work. I adjusted the parking brake and both brakes are fully applied after 3 clicks.

Thanks to everyone for all your help and advice