Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Broke Wheel Key

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rulez is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Broke Wheel Key

i was swappin tires from my old rim to the one i had on my car and when i was tightenin the last lug, part of the key broke off and got stuck in the lug so i have a broken key...now that im tryin to put my stock wheels for the winter, i cant take the lugs off, any advice?
Old 12-13-2005
Registered!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

hondacivicd17 is an unknown quantity at this point
vice grips
Old 12-13-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
The brand would help. Then call them and get a new key.
Or take it to a tire shop and have them cut, etc... the locks off.
Old 12-13-2005
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
yeah we have at my shop (even though we're not ever going to use it read: stupid walmart is afraid of getting sued) a little kit that will remove most lug locks its kinda like well i dunno how to explain it...looks like hollow sockets and it has a mounting plate and you put the hollow socket on the lock and twist and impact it or torque it off...I dunno I've only picked it up and looked at the pieces before...but Discount tire should have one laying around...
Old 12-13-2005
I Hunt Goats, Rams, And Mustangs.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of light
Or you can get a small enough socket that will fit on the out side, CHEEP ONES and hammer it on and then screw it off. Youll have to get new lugs. but ehh just a thought lol.
Old 12-14-2005
Registered!!

Honda2k4 is an unknown quantity at this point
my lock key stripped, i was able to change 3 with new lock nuts but the 4th one i wasnt able to get out. so im thinking of trying the hammer/socket trick
Old 12-14-2005
Registered!!

bluestreak is an unknown quantity at this point
hammer / smaller socket trick worked for me, I used an impact socket and it worked awesome, barely f'd up the wheel lock too, but I wouldn't use it again even though I found the key the next day......
Old 12-15-2005
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by shroomster
yeah we have at my shop (even though we're not ever going to use it read: stupid walmart is afraid of getting sued) a little kit that will remove most lug locks its kinda like well i dunno how to explain it...looks like hollow sockets and it has a mounting plate and you put the hollow socket on the lock and twist and impact it or torque it off...I dunno I've only picked it up and looked at the pieces before...but Discount tire should have one laying around...
Here's a link to that tool.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

I've used this tool before and it works wonders. All you have to do is place the socket over that damage lock or lug nut. Hammer in the socket and take off the lug or lock nut with an impact wrench if possible. If you don't have an impact wrench, you can use a breaker bar.

This tool however will permanently damage your lock/lug nuts. You will need new ones after using this tool.
Old 12-15-2005
Registered!!

vietfob714 is an unknown quantity at this point
so if this exists... wats the point of having wheel locks... they'll just smash ur wheel lock and jack your wheels. Anyone else think the same?
Old 12-15-2005
Registered!!

born2xLr8 will become famous soon enough
My first thought would be to see if the manufacturer can send you another key. Why destroy the lug when you don't have to. I invested in McGard spline lugs and locks and they are able to send you spare keys and such by supplying a serial number.
Good luck.

For the record, those bolt-out sockets used for removing rounded off bolts and lugs are amazing. Far better then vice grips. Actually I don't see how you could even use vice grips for lugs.
Old 12-15-2005

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by phuviano
Here's a link to that tool.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

I've used this tool before and it works wonders. All you have to do is place the socket over that damage lock or lug nut. Hammer in the socket and take off the lug or lock nut with an impact wrench if possible. If you don't have an impact wrench, you can use a breaker bar.

This tool however will permanently damage your lock/lug nuts. You will need new ones after using this tool.
yeah thats a part of the kit...the 'kit' we have has like 10 dif sockets for probably pretty much all locks...
Old 12-15-2005
Registered!!

Question

Originally Posted by bluestreak
hammer / smaller socket trick worked for me, I used an impact socket and it worked awesome, barely f'd up the wheel lock too, but I wouldn't use it again even though I found the key the next day......
yeah i been hearin about the hammer socket trick but would that still work if my lugs dont have any grooves on them on the outside? they're pretty much like completely round...
Old 12-15-2005

Originally Posted by rulez
yeah i been hearin about the hammer socket trick but would that still work if my lugs dont have any grooves on them on the outside? they're pretty much like completely round...
6-sidedsocket vs. round lugnut...think about the square peg round hole thing...it will come to you...
Old 12-15-2005

starstryke is an unknown quantity at this point
craftsman has a new socket set on the market that works wonders with taking out stuck screws, stripped and rusty bolts. Maybe it will work with that?

try to order the key first.
Old 12-16-2005
Registered!!

i got lucky found my registration card under a bunch of books so i got a replacement key, thanks for the help tho!
Old 12-23-2005
Registered!!

EM2 Bluez is an unknown quantity at this point
I work at Just Tires here in So. Cali and we have a simliar tool to take out wheel locks if customers lose there key or dont even know what the hell we are talking about. We get alot of them, its like a hollow socket like whoever said and we hammer it into the lock. The inside of the socket looks like a swirl but very sharp tips to grip the lug. Once hammered in easy it comes off.
Old 12-24-2005
Registered!!

tacheon is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by vietfob714
so if this exists... wats the point of having wheel locks... they'll just smash ur wheel lock and jack your wheels. Anyone else think the same?
It slows down the car thief considerably. It makes a loud clang when you smack the universal locknut removal tool. Also, the locknut can jam inside the tool requiring time to remove it before removing the others. The wheel lock isn't smashed. The tool has tempered reverse tapered grooves which bite into the side of the locking lugnut even if the locking lugnut is smooth around the sides. The only way to prevent the illegitimate removal of locking lugnuts is to find one which has a free spinning hardened collar around the locking lugnut. So far, I have yet to see a manufacturer produce one.