Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

What parts are needed for a rear drum job?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
What parts are needed for a rear drum job?

I'm pretty sure I'm riding on the backing plates. Anyways.... do I just need new shoes (they're like $10 each?) or do I need more bits and springs and **** on the diagram? Never done it before, need to do it in a HURRY (like before next sunday). So give me the low down quick... I need some DIY help here. Anyone with a step by step would be marvelous.
Old 04-11-2005
The Wierdest and Funniest Mofo 7th Gen Has Ever Seen As Voted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of
Just shoes buddy..The springs should be ok..

Or if you want just buy the spring kit ,its not that expensive..
Now word of advice..

Rear drums are complicated and when you take the springs apart please put them on the ground in a way that youll remember how they go back on..
Ive seen people take em apart and not remember how to put it back together..

Good luck
Old 04-11-2005
Registered!!

etdigitalis should not be trusted
If you need details PM me and I'll get you the service manual pages.
Old 04-11-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
zen_master is on a distinguished road
go to www.hondaautomotiveparts.com

now, call them.........and ask them about "rear brake pad KIT".....it's not listed on the website...however, they're available upon request...

since my old mechanic messed up my rear drums.....i'll actually buy a whole new set of drums....then, call them and ask them to include the rear brake pad KIT.... =)
Old 04-11-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Ok so they have something that has all the parts in 1 box... how much does it cost?
I guess my other deal is getting the drums turned.... they're like $50+ each to buy, I don't know what turning them is gonna run, gotta call around.
Old 04-11-2005
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
Ok so they have something that has all the parts in 1 box... how much does it cost?
I guess my other deal is getting the drums turned.... they're like $50+ each to buy, I don't know what turning them is gonna run, gotta call around.
DO NOT GET THE DRUMS TURNED. It is ok for the rotors to be turned, but dont get the drums turned. Even honda doesnt recommend turning them because of how much less meat the drums have on them. I had the drums turned once and it killed them. They really dont need to be turned, since not much braking takes place in the rear.
Old 04-11-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

oh... thats good to know..... maybe thats why they charge so much for new ones... its like a f*ck up charge.
Old 04-11-2005
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
make sure to have the drums mic'd to make sure they are of safe diameter. I would recommend resurfacing them with new shoes , but opinions varry I would also recommend replacing at a min the the hold down and return springs. People over look the springs a lot on drum brakes but they are a vital componet to the brakes. After all springs dont like heat and what are they attached to???? The brakes that generate heat. The spring kit(aka combi kit) is a cheap and worth wile investment.The wheel cyls are optional if they arent leaking and your low miles. Where i work we replace them on every drum brake job we do because you cant look inside to inspect the bores without basicaly rebuilding them
Old 04-12-2005
Life Begins > 6800rpms

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
Yeap, you always replace the springs when you replace the shoes. Write up a diy cause I need to do this soon
Old 04-12-2005
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by blouisgod
Yeap, you always replace the springs when you replace the shoes. Write up a diy cause I need to do this soon
I could do it a half dozen times a day at work, but they would frown on me taking pictures instead of working :P And my car only has 24,000 miles on it and no where close to in need of rear brakes Rear brakes are Very easy to do if you start with taking apart one side laying it out so it looks the same as you took it apart. Then substitute the new parts in the lay out then install them. Compare to other side and if it looks right
Old 04-12-2005
I need TP for my bunghole

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
I heard the if you cannot get the drum off by tapping on it with a hammer to use the the bolt that holds the the brake line
This will help to back the drum off the hub.

If you do it this weekend please try it an advise. I need to change mine too. I wasn't to knock it off with the hammer. Then after the fact I heard about the bolt.