Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

big rotor/brake question

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005
Prowlin' with a Purpose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WannaBFast will become famous soon enoughWannaBFast will become famous soon enough
big rotor/brake question

i read somewhere that it would throw off the abs sensor.. is this true? given the design of the whole setup i doubt it would because it is all run off of the axels... wanna shed some light on this?
Old 01-30-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tacheon is on a distinguished road
Short answer. Yes it can mess up your abs function. Not because it affects the sensor directly, but because everything works as an integrated system. The parameters of slave cylinder volume, braking force, tire size, etc were programmed into the abs computer with default oem components. So if you go out and change something like a caliper and rotor, the abs computer isn't going to "know", teleologically speaking. For an in depth look at this matter, see the link below.

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...ake_122701.htm
Old 01-30-2005
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Its possilbe, as noted in the article above... there is also the issue of possibly altering the brake bias unfavorably....
Old 01-31-2005
Prowlin' with a Purpose

WannaBFast will become famous soon enoughWannaBFast will become famous soon enough
most kits ive seen just move the brake caliper outwards.. and there isnt a larger more powerful caliper with it..
Old 01-31-2005
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by WannaBFast
most kits ive seen just move the brake caliper outwards.. and there isnt a larger more powerful caliper with it..

Yes, but by moving the caliper farther from the center of rotation you are effectivly increasing the amount of Torque that can be applied to the tire/ground interface.... Meaning you have increased front Brake bias. (it also means that it will take less brake preasure to lock the front brakes then it use to.... Which can lead to ABS problems).
Old 01-31-2005
Registered!!

orso is an unknown quantity at this point
everything they said is true and i know because i have larger rotors. the only time it is really a problem is when you are driving like a mad man in slick conditions. other than that i don't have any problems.