Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Anyone else hate ABS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Anyone else hate ABS?

I sure as hell do! Everytime I need to come to a fast *** stop, the car slows down, but that ABS kicks in and the braking turns into thump braking. It is so annoying. I was told it was caused by the valves in the ABS hitting hard and fast back and forth, (something like that). Just wondering if anyone else dislikes ABS?
Old 11-05-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rickinthescv will become famous soon enoughrickinthescv will become famous soon enough
That pulsing is keeping your wheels from locking and the tire sliding. You get better grip when the tire is spinning.
Old 11-05-2004
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
hmmm... dont know, I dont have ABS, so I learned to brake to the point right before locking. It's pretty interesting,.... hearing the tires sqeal a little bit.
Old 11-05-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I don't like it. It's supposed to make you have turning control while braking hard, but they actually stop the car slower than regular brakes.
Old 11-06-2004
Registered!!

dariusld is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by gearbox
but they actually stop the car slower than regular brakes.
If your a race car driver. How many people know that line between locking the brakes and max braking power, I don't. Then add slippery conditions(rain)
Old 11-06-2004
Zoom zoom

jiggerachi will become famous soon enough
I disable mine for racing, & usually forget to plug it back in.
Old 11-06-2004
Registered!!

hustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the rough
ABS is great for when its raining. My old car had ABS/Antilock brakes and it stopped very well when I need it to stop quick in the rain...... with my Civic if I had to stop fast in the rain I would prolly lock up the tires and start sliding so I usually pump the brake to simulate antilock brakes..
Old 11-06-2004
Euro-Spec

tripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nice
I also hate ABS but it does help you stop a bit quicker...saved my *** a few times
Old 11-06-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
They have done tests, and abs does not stop faster. It only prevents them from locking up and enables you to have partial steering control. It uses alot of power too. My lights and dash usually dims while it's working.
Old 11-06-2004
lkm

lkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trusted
yeah, abs does not allow faster stops but keeps it from locking. also the fact u can't ff drift with abs sucks.
Old 11-06-2004
Registered!!

VTECTypeR is an unknown quantity at this point
I think ABS is well wortth it
Old 11-06-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Depends...

when I'm autocrossing... No, ABS sucks

when Im Drivng in the steet, Yes, ABS rocks.
Old 11-07-2004
Registered!!

dariusld is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by gearbox
They have done tests, and abs does not stop faster. It only prevents them from locking up and enables you to have partial steering control. It uses alot of power too. My lights and dash usually dims while it's working.
Tests aren't the real world. I bet the majority of people who brake unexpectantly, stomp on the brake pedal and lock up their brakes.
Old 11-07-2004
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
In the real world ABS was designed to enable steering under hard braking. A car with out ABS that goes into a panic stop and skids the tires can NOT steer cause the tires are no longer turning. When a car has ABS for example on a snowy road and goes into a panic stop the ABS pulses the brakes this then in turn allows the driver to steer the car because the wheels are still rotating. If you find that your car is too sensitive to the brakes going into a ABS mode then there are a few things you can do to try to over come this. One is better gripping tires, second is the car may have a faulty wheel speed sensor making the ABS computer think that the car is going inot ABS mode when its not, this can also be caused from a lose wheel bearing on some vehicles.
Old 11-07-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
zen_master is on a distinguished road
damn. i love my ABS....saved my life...

still remember those times with no abs.......ehm with my old chrysler new yorker...

pump PUMP pump PUmp..
Old 11-07-2004
Broken Arm, How Am I Suppost To Shift

down_ should not be trusteddown_ should not be trusteddown_ should not be trusted
THey saved me from loosin my hole front end saved my life as well Click on Pic..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Accsedent.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	42120  

Last edited by Down_; 11-07-2004 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-07-2004
The Beer-man

Metallica454 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by streetglower
I sure as hell do! Everytime I need to come to a fast *** stop, the car slows down, but that ABS kicks in and the braking turns into thump braking. It is so annoying. I was told it was caused by the valves in the ABS hitting hard and fast back and forth, (something like that). Just wondering if anyone else dislikes ABS?
That vibration is what's saving your ***, so be thankful.

God, I hate stupid people.
Old 11-07-2004
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
It all depends on the driver. If you have experience and driving skills. then ABS sucks (big time). If your the average driver it will probley save your ***.
Old 11-07-2004
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Metallica454
That vibration is what's saving your ***, so be thankful.

God, I hate stupid people.
like Pon55 said, it all depends on the driver, and yes I do hate ABS. I drove around in my friends 96 civic this morning and I would rather be without ABS. I hate the vibration, and I do have skills when it comes to breaking.

No I am not stupid, I just dont like the vibration. Having ABS is for people who dont know how to control there car when they have to brake hard and fast. So you would fall into that category of people who dont know how to drive.
Old 11-08-2004
The Beer-man

Metallica454 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by streetglower
like Pon55 said, it all depends on the driver, and yes I do hate ABS. I drove around in my friends 96 civic this morning and I would rather be without ABS. I hate the vibration, and I do have skills when it comes to breaking.

No I am not stupid, I just dont like the vibration. Having ABS is for people who dont know how to control there car when they have to brake hard and fast. So you would fall into that category of people who dont know how to drive.
Please explain to me why you think I fall into a category of people who cant brake? Like to assume huh? Did I ever say I liked ABS....no. Did I say I hated ABS...no. The only time I would not want an ABS car is on a track, and since I have a Civic, its not a track car and I am thankful for ABS. Does it make you feel better to say I can control my braking, ABS sucks, I'm too good of a driver for it? Get a grip. ABS does the pumping job for you so you dont have to worry about threshold braking, or pumping brakes, so you can concentrate on steering and avoiding impact. Nothing wrong with that. Besides, on decent cars, you can't feel ABS working. We have an entry level economy car. Drive a Volvo or a BMW and you can't feel ABS engaging. ABS can pump brakes faster than a human can period. It's a proven fact. The only reason ABS is not preferred on a track is because it engages too soon before brake lock up. You can brake harder and faster without ABS, but I can garauntee 9 times out of 10 and ABS equipped car will stop shorter with ABS.
Old 11-10-2004
Registered!!

Intruder is an unknown quantity at this point
Let's see you guys drive down a hill in 6" of snow without ABS... no matter how good you are with non-ABS brakes you will never have as much control as an ABS equipped car in the snow....