Exterior Post your issues with Exterior parts here! Exterior covers Body, Doors, Locks, Physical Removal/install lights, Hoods, fenders, etc. For Fundamentally Electrical issues, post on Electrical

Exterior trim and mirrors are melting [solved]

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2023
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
charles11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exterior trim and mirrors are melting [solved]

Our Honda civic was purchased new in 2022. We noticed that on both sides of our car, the mirror cases are melting and deformed. Also the front bumper trim on both sides is melting and both sides of the windshield trim are melting. Our dealer today said no warranty since it is caused by sunlight reflected off our windows. However, our house has only 1 window above the driveway and has a storm screen in front of it. Our car has been parked in driveway for last 2 days when it happened. Also its 45 degrees here in Atlanta and been raining and cloudy for past several days. It was sunny on Monday when we believed it happened, but again it was parked in our driveway. We have a case filed with Honda corporation and waiting for a response. Other forums show that this has happened primarily with Japanese cars Honda, Toyota, and Subaru. Havent seen other car brands with this issue. Are they all using the same ABS plastic for their trim? We contacted a lemon law lawfirm to see if there is a pattern with these 3 car brands. Has this happened to anyone else?

Has anyone else had this happened?
Old 02-27-2024
Registered!!

Rawrolisaurus is an unknown quantity at this point
re: Exterior trim and mirrors are melting [solved]

yes! I have a 2023 honda accord i just purchased on August 31st. The day my mirror melted was December 14th and the weather that day was almost at freezing point. They are claiming the same excuse that i parked next to a window that caused “concentrated sun damage”.

i threatened them with legal action when getting my A1 oil change service, and they offered me a replacement mirror “this one time” since my mileage is at 9k, and warned me to “not park close to windows” moving forward.. that is the most asinine advice ive ever heard. This sounds to me like they know they have a cheap and defective product and do not want to eat the costs of a recall because not enough customers have come forth about this issue yet.

i suggest threatening them with legal action and if they do not change their tone , pursue it. An automaker should be held liable for having a faulty product which is not attuned to the factors of its environment. This seems like a new issue in newer vehicles as a result of cutting costs of materials during production.

the manufacturing quality of these vehicles seems very cheap in other factors, because i had other issues with the vehicle already in its brand new age. My driver door window seal unglued and was drooping every time i opened the door ( i had them fix it) , an interior panel in the back seat by the rear window started falling out ( one of the c clips was broken seems like during manufacturing, i had them replace it) . It seems to me like their production quality has gone seriously downhill. Through giving them a hard time i had them replace all of these items for free , and they agree with me that these issues should not be happening with a new vehicle.

Originally Posted by charles11
Our Honda civic was purchased new in 2022. We noticed that on both sides of our car, the mirror cases are melting and deformed. Also the front bumper trim on both sides is melting and both sides of the windshield trim are melting. Our dealer today said no warranty since it is caused by sunlight reflected off our windows. However, our house has only 1 window above the driveway and has a storm screen in front of it. Our car has been parked in driveway for last 2 days when it happened. Also its 45 degrees here in Atlanta and been raining and cloudy for past several days. It was sunny on Monday when we believed it happened, but again it was parked in our driveway. We have a case filed with Honda corporation and waiting for a response. Other forums show that this has happened primarily with Japanese cars Honda, Toyota, and Subaru. Havent seen other car brands with this issue. Are they all using the same ABS plastic for their trim? We contacted a lemon law lawfirm to see if there is a pattern with these 3 car brands. Has this happened to anyone else?

Has anyone else had this happened?
Old 02-27-2024
Registered!!

charles11 is an unknown quantity at this point
re: Exterior trim and mirrors are melting [solved]

Here is the follow up on our situation regarding our 2022 melted Honda Civic. We were on the WSB TV news in Atlanta and the video of the news program went viral on Youtube and globally about our melted Honda Civic. My wife followed up the following week with Honda North America Corp and they saw the news about our car. They agreed to approve the repairs and sent us to the local Honda Dealer. The Honda Dealer was now cooperative and will be replacing everything. It took some work and correspondence but we appreciate that Honda is working with us now to remedy this. Its been about 5 weeks since the dealer ordered the parts. Some of the parts came in and some are still on back order. We had 1 mirror replaced and are just waiting on the remaining parts to arrive. There appears be a shortage of Honda trim parts. There is also a recall of the fuel pump on Honda Civics so we will hopefully get that replaced too when the other parts arrive.