Air Conditioning Post issues about air conditioning here

Civic 2007, AC weak cooling, now after injecting gas is cycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wagnerlip is an unknown quantity at this point
Civic 2007, AC weak cooling, now after injecting gas is cycling.

Civic 2007, during the last weeks the cooling was not so good on Florida hot days. Purchase a canister to refill the AC gas on Low port. With the car running in idle and AC full on, it was showing 10 PSI when the "green range" for today's 95F is from 45 to 55 PSI. So I press the canister trigger and in seconds pressure starts to climb, when it reached 25 PSI on the pressure meter (on the canister), both fans (and probably the compressor) stopped for 3 to 4 seconds, then turn on again for 1 second, turn off for 3 to 4 seconds, and repeat. Then the fans turn on, the pressure indicator goes to zero, when the fans turn off, the pressure goes to 22-26 PSI. Driving afterwards, it still cycling - when stopped at the red light I can feel the engine's idle suffer when fan/compressors engages. But now, the air is hot, no cooling at all, since the compressor is cycling. I just parked the car for the day, perhaps with cool engine and compressor, and "distribution" of the gas within the system, it will behave. If not I will need to take it to a mechanic to solve the issue. It was working, low cooling though, but working. Just because I just push some gas for less then 10 seconds it started to behave like that. If this cycling is caused by low pressure of gas (25PSI), why before it was running without cycling when it was only 10PSI? I am afraid to push more gas. What you guys think?
Old 10-04-2018
Registered!!

wagnerlip is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Civic 2007, AC weak cooling, now after injecting gas is cycling.

I think I answer myself about the problem. When the compressor and both fans kick on, the pressure meter on the canister shows zero... it means the pressure on the Low side is way lower than the necessary for the low pressure sensor keep the compressor and fans on, so the ECU turn them off, and few seconds later try again. May be I must push more gas into the system until it reads between 45 and 55, without the fear of damage something, right? I will try it tonight. May be now, with more gas (but not enough) in the system, the compressor sucks everything to the high pressure side, may be before when it was showing only 10PSI the compressor could not suck everything and it was working somehow. Ideas? Am I in the right path?
Old 10-13-2018
Registered!!

bwfixit53 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wagnerlip
I think I answer myself about the problem. When the compressor and both fans kick on, the pressure meter on the canister shows zero... it means the pressure on the Low side is way lower than the necessary for the low pressure sensor keep the compressor and fans on, so the ECU turn them off, and few seconds later try again. May be I must push more gas into the system until it reads between 45 and 55, without the fear of damage something, right? I will try it tonight. May be now, with more gas (but not enough) in the system, the compressor sucks everything to the high pressure side, may be before when it was showing only 10PSI the compressor could not suck everything and it was working somehow. Ideas? Am I in the right path?
The only way I could get my 2009 civic to work right was to reclaim all the freon into a recycling center with a set of gauges just to release the gas because mine was almost half empty or not much pressure in system.. Then rent a vacuum pump from the auto stores free rental with deposit I think.Vacuum system for 30 or 40 minutes with the rental guages also. Then recharge the system to factory specification then you know its right. You'll have to weigh the freon into the system with a set of household scales that read in ounces though.Mine held 18 ounces I believe. It's written on the hood latch area I think.Good luck !! Also get a can of dye and put in the system and look for any leaks around condenser or hose fittings with your uv light. Set of dye and light is about 10 bucks.

Last edited by bwfixit53; 10-13-2018 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Had given wrong information.
Old 10-14-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

So I press the canister trigger and in seconds pressure starts to climb, when it reached 25 PSI on the pressure meter (on the canister), both fans (and probably the compressor) stopped for 3 to 4 seconds, then turn on again for 1 second, turn off for 3 to 4 seconds, and repeat. Then the fans turn on, the pressure indicator goes to zero, when the fans turn off, the pressure goes to 22-26 PSI. Driving afterwards, it still cycling - when stopped at the red light I can feel the engine's idle suffer when fan/compressors engages. But now, the air is hot, no cooling at all, since the compressor is cycling.
Sounds overcharged.
It's extremely easy to overcharge the system when you don't have the right equipment and aren't familiar with MVAC work.

As mentioned above, the right way is to charge the system by weight.