2012 Honda Civic - Heating Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
msnagara is an unknown quantity at this point
2012 Honda Civic - Heating Issue

Hi All,
I have 2012 Honda Civic EX-L Navigation. I started having heating issues start of the winter this year. I have heat only on the extreme right passenger side vent. All other 3 vents and the vent towards the floor blow cold air. I did the following checks and still could not diagnose what exactly the problem is:
1. Replaced the thermostat thinking it was stuck open since the car takes long time - about 3 to 5 mins to reach operating temperature. This model has a freaking lamp and not the temp gauge. This fix did not help the heating problem.
2. Got the heater core flushed - did not fix the problem
3. Thought A/c is stuck and running all the time - checked the a/c clutch-it only engages when a/c button is turned on.
4. Checked air mode motor under glove box - it is working perfectly fine
5. Checked the air mix motor under driver side - it is working perfectly fine
6. Blower motor is working perfectly fine and even air volume goes up and down when the **** is turned.
7. Coolant is topped off and bled to remove air in the system

After all the above checks I still have no heat (except in one passenger side vent). Coolant temps in the inlet and outlet pipes to heater core does not seem to be very hot even after a long drive. Engine is not over heating and hence I came to conclusion that water pump is working fine. I may be wrong in my assumption though.

i am not an expert in cars, but learnt about the above checks through googling. I hate to go to a dealer to get ripped off. I would appreciate if any of you can share your thoughts or similar experiences you may have had and help me with a fix to my Civic this winter. My kids and I will be very thankful for your help.

One other thing I have to mention is that - earlier in July there was an incident where underside skid plate got ripped off due to an accident in front of our car and a part coming off another car and we had no other choice but to run over it. Insurance covered the fix. Fixing collision shop said that he had to replace the condenser- though it seemed to me that he was taking advantage of the situation and ripping off the insurance since a/ c was working perfectly fine. I don’t know if this has to do with my current heating issue.

Thanks!!

Old 01-07-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2012 Honda Civic - Heating Issue

I have heat only on the extreme right passenger side vent. All other 3 vents and the vent towards the floor blow cold air.
is the heat on the right side kinda weak too?

Heater core may be partially blocked.

Your local Honda dealer should have the equipment described in the following link:
https://honda.oemdtc.com/264/low-hea...014-honda-cr-v

Even though the link describes fixing a known issue with another model, the procedure can be done to any model
Old 01-07-2018
Registered!!

Thanks for your quick response. I do agree with you that the heat on passenger side is kind of weak as well.
I did get the heater core flushed by an outside shop with no success. I will go to the dealer since they seem to have the right tools. How much do you think dealer may charge for this fix?
Thanks again.
Old 01-07-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

You can't just go to a shop and ask for the coolant flush, because that doesn't address the problem (as you found out).

The procedure outlined in the link is in a service bulletin for 2012-14 CRV and as you can see it is very detailed and specific...

You'll have to ask your dealer about price estimate.

Not saying this is how you should do it, but I'd approach the service desk with something like...."Hi, you know that service bulletin on the 12 CRV for no heat on one side? Heater core flush with C.L.R....... How much does that job cost?

I have a Civic out here that does the same thing, probably needs the exact same procedure done on it. Same price for it?"

If that doesn't fix it and the core is still clogged, core replacement might be next. Not cheap, dashboard has to come out to do it.
Old 01-25-2018
Registered!!

Hi eZone,
I finally got my car fixed through the dealer. It was quite expensive $400 for 4 hours of labor and shop supplies such as coolant, etc. I was so busy at work and with cold temps ...I did not think twice.
Thanks for your suggestion. It is definitely a great help to get educated before you go and sit in the dealership. While I was in the dealership, I overheard another service technician in the next cubicle, quoting $610 for 60k service which seemed to me a big rip-off. I guess it is the cost of the car wash you get every time u leave ur car at the dealership. 🙄
Old 01-26-2018

Originally Posted by msnagara
Hi eZone,
I finally got my car fixed through the dealer. It was quite expensive $400 for 4 hours of labor and shop supplies such as coolant, etc. I was so busy at work and with cold temps ...I did not think twice.
Price be damned, it's fixed!

I would have guessed in the 350 range, your price doesn't seem out of line IMO
Thanks for your suggestion. It is definitely a great help to get educated before you go and sit in the dealership.
Yw.

While I was in the dealership, I overheard another service technician in the next cubicle, quoting
Seems super odd that a service tech would be trying to sell work to customers, that should be the job of the service advisor.