Regular Maintenance Post Questions/Information about Regular Maintenance here

OIL Display Dumb or Smart?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jsmithe2010 is an unknown quantity at this point
OIL Display Dumb or Smart?

Is my oil meter (Life Left Display) a dumb mileage counter? or does it have sensor to actually sniff how worn out my oil is?

TIA
Old 09-25-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all
Re: OIL Display Dumb or Smart?

Originally Posted by jsmithe2010
Is my oil meter (Life Left Display) a dumb mileage counter? or does it have sensor to actually sniff how worn out my oil is?

TIA
I don't think all work the same, but some do calculate by how hard you drive the car. I am guessing cheaper Hondas just have a mileage ticker though.
Old 09-25-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

It should measure it based off how you drive the car.
Old 09-25-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Is my oil meter (Life Left Display) a dumb mileage counter?
It's far more complex than a simple mileage counter.
Oil life will vary from driver to driver.
Some people that make only short trips might get the service reminder at 4000 miles.
Someone who is constantly on the interstate might be allowed to go 12,000+ miles before it wants the oil changed.

or does it have sensor to actually sniff how worn out my oil is?
NO it does not have anything like that.
It operates based on a model.
It cannot actually see into the oil or filters or coolant or anything like that, so it's important to use correct high quality fluids and parts.

It has no way of knowing if you used the correct spec oil from Honda dealer, or if some clown at Jizzy Lube dumped in some USED 20w50 oil they had laying around.

It has no way of resetting itself just because you got the oil changed. Whomever does the services should reset the system each time.

HTH
Old 09-25-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Smart, one interval I had a bunch of highway miles accumulated and at 5000 miles mark it was still at like 60%-70% remaining.
Old 09-25-2015
Registered!!

Great.

My intervals is been around 6K, but last year I switched to Mobil-1 Full Synthetic and looks like again, it's gonna hit it at 6K. Would you feel comfortable taking it to 150% or even 200%? Driving has not changed.
Old 09-25-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Great.

My intervals is been around 6K, but last year I switched to Mobil-1 Full Synthetic and looks like again, it's gonna hit it at 6K. Would you feel comfortable taking it to 150% or even 200%? Driving has not changed.
What car do you have??

I'd stick with what the minder system says.
Old 09-25-2015

Thread moved because it can't be a 7th gen car.
Old 09-25-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
What car do you have??

I'd stick with what the minder system says.

2010 Civic,

THX