Air Conditioning Post issues with air conditioning here

Heater Core Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Courtneyy is an unknown quantity at this point
Heater Core Problem?

Hey I have a 2001 honda civic and recently it has been overheating normally only when stopped for more then a minute or two. Also the passenger floor is always wet. I have been told I need my heater core replaced I was just wondering if that sounds right or if it could be anything else??
Old 07-29-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Heater Core Problem?

well is the floor wet with coolant or water?? the car can function just fine without a heater core and in fact when you put the temp dial to COLD in the summer, the cooling system completely bypasses the core and related hoses. if you only overheat at idle, you may have a problem with one or both cooling fans. do they both turn on when the car is sitting? try turning the temp dial to HOT and turn the blower on. see if the temp drops back down to normal.
Old 07-30-2012
2001 Civic LX Sedan

Biscuit will become famous soon enoughBiscuit will become famous soon enough

What color is your cars coolant?
Does the interior fluid leak smell like maple syrup?
Old 07-30-2012
Registered!!

Courtneyy is an unknown quantity at this point

Well the cars coolant is like a light brown....I was told I could just keep putting water in it if it gets low so thats really all thats in it not actual coolant....As for smell maple syrup not so sure but it does smell a little funny...and yes my floor is wet with coolant...fans have been checked and they are working just fine......but as to bypass the heater core is there a way I can connect the hoses together to bypass it for now?
Old 07-30-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

wow well im assuming the water you put in corroded the cooling system over time. you never put water in, unless its an emergency and even then only distilled (no tap/hose or bottled water). and if it ever goes below freezing with only water, say goodbye to the engine block. oh and in normal weather, the water pump will not get lubricated properly by water and fail early, which can also cause engine damage when it overheats. but anyway, start with replacing the heater core. its a big job getting to it behind the dash. after that, flush the system with distilled water and go back to honda coolant.

as to your question, yes you can bypass the heater core by looking in the engine bay for two heater hoses that go into the firewall and thru to the interior. buy a properly fitting metal connector and plug them into each other. put some hose clamps on there too. you will not have any more heater, and you may still get leaks for a while since quite a bit of water will be trapped in the hoses and core, which will slosh around when the car moves.
Old 03-04-2016
Registered!!

Tjarvis88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Biscuit
What color is your cars coolant?
Does the interior fluid leak smell like maple syrup?
Yes mine smells maple syrup kinda and when I come to an idle my heat goes cool. Thanks for the help