Engine start problems Post issues with engine start here. Does not start, does not run, etc.

2004 EX Power but won't crank

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2020
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
boc4ever is an unknown quantity at this point
2004 EX Power but won't crank

A couple of days ago I turned the key and nothing. Then I turned it again and it started right up. This happened two more times and now nothing. It doesn't try to crank, no clicking, nothing. I changed the spark plugs and that didn't help. Battery is only one year old. Some suggestions include ignition switch or starter. The key turns fine and the starter is only about three years old. Help please!
Old 09-06-2020
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2004 EX Power but won't crank

Sounds like the starter could be a prime suspect. But not the only suspect.
If the problem is easy to duplicate I might grab a $3 test light or a voltmeter and do some electrical tests and figure out exactly what is wrong. I don't like to waste money on wrong guesses.
starter is only about three years old
Bet it's aftermarket. Got warranty?
Old 09-06-2020
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Sounds like the starter could be a prime suspect. But not the only suspect.
If the problem is easy to duplicate I might grab a $3 test light or a voltmeter and do some electrical tests and figure out exactly what is wrong. I don't like to waste money on wrong guesses.
Bet it's aftermarket. Got warranty?
Doubt it. It was purchased at Advanced Auto. I guess I will get a starter then. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-06-2020
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Test Don't guess.
If manual trans, there is a safety switch high on the clutch pedal. The pedal may have lost the little rubber pad that pushes the switch
Old 09-06-2020
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

could also try smacking the crap out of the starter. bandaid solution that will either be a semi-short term temp fix or last for a long time. Had starting issues at around 120k, called it quits on my 2002 civic after 205k, all with the original starter, only had to smack the crap out of it that one time.

My weapon of choice was the butt end of my 14" breaker bar, kinda in a spearfishing motion onto the main body. A couple solid hits always did the trick no matter what car I had to do that on. Access might be a bit.. tough with an OEM intake. It's been forever since I've seen a D17 engine bay with a stock intake, so take that as you will
Old 09-06-2020
Registered!!

It is an automatic. I like the idea of smacking the crap out of it. The Fonzie method has worked for me in the past. Thanks for the help guys. The thing is, if I put the starter on and it works, it will save me a lot of aggravation. I don't have the tools to test and I would have to tow it to the mechanic.
Old 09-07-2020
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,131 Likes on 945 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

It'd be worth trying to smack it before replacing the starter
Old 09-18-2020
Registered!!

Thanks to everyone! I put a new starter in and it started right up. The old one looked like hell, so it must have been a refurb.
The following users liked this post:
xRiCeBoYx (09-18-2020)