Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

1996 DX - Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intec is an unknown quantity at this point
1996 DX - Starting Issues

Hey All,

Thanks for opening up this post, I'm really having trouble with my Civic and could use some help.
I've got a 1996 Civic DX
Vehicle has intermittent start up issues, and currently is in the not starting at all phase.

Vehicle will crank when clutch is in and key is turned all the way, but will not turn over.
I have noticed that the times the vehicle does not turn over, the fuel pump with not prime (no noise heard from the rear of the vehicle when key is in position II). Also, sometimes when the pump does prime, the car will start and then die off.
I have tested spark and all four plugs are working fine, no issues with that.

I have replaced the following items in the last two days to try and fix the issue:
Battery, Ignition coil, distributer cap, spark plugs, spark plug wires, Main relay, fuel pump and thermostat (unrelated). I have also checked the fuses and they seem fine, I will replace them tomorrow to be sure.

The strange thing is that it'll not work for a day, and then turn over every time the next day.
It seems like an issue with power to the fuel pump as I can tell that it is not priming due to no noise when keys are in position II, but I am not sure where to begin to see where the power issue is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Old 05-24-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1996 DX - Starting Issues

Got any fault codes?