Exterior Post your issues with Exterior parts here! Exterior covers Body, Doors, Locks, Physical Removal/install lights, Hoods, fenders, etc. For Fundamentally Electrical issues, post on Electrical

Hard to get key in door lock

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mwrohde is an unknown quantity at this point
Hard to get key in door lock

I've got (my daughter has) a 2004 Civic LX coupe. The key is very difficult to get into the driver's side door lock. If you wiggle the key this way, then that way, and once more, it might go in. You might have to back off and start again.

Both keys have this problem. Passenger side is fine. Is it possible to swap them?

I don't think it's a lubrication issue - I sprayed wd40 in there and it made no difference at all.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Matt
Old 11-29-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,132 Likes on 946 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Hard to get key in door lock

Probably just worn out, you may be able to swap sides, or steal the trunk one. You can also replace the worn out bits to make the lock new again
Old 11-29-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
Probably just worn out, you may be able to swap sides, or steal the trunk one. You can also replace the worn out bits to make the lock new again
Do you know of any instructions available on this? I can google, but if you've got something useful and handy . . .
Old 11-29-2017

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

I don't unfortunately, there's a stickied thread in the 7th gen section where you can download the factory repair manual, you would find instrutions on how to take it all apart there. Another member who is more knowledgeable on how to do this may comment
Old 11-30-2017
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Don't use WD-40, use powdered graphite lube instead. Next would be to re-tumble the lock.
Old 11-30-2017
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

I hit my lock cylinders with graphite (down to 2, these days) every so often. It is the best option to keep them working smooth.
Old 11-30-2017

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...e-updated.html

here's the link for the repair manual thread, go to the last page to get the most recent link
Old 11-30-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I retumble those locks all the time.

I hate a car that has to have multiple fat keys
Old 11-30-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by NDNV
Don't use WD-40, use powdered graphite lube instead. Next would be to re-tumble the lock.
Too late. I already hit them with WD-40. I'll find some graphite for next time.

How do I learn to re-tumble the lock? Or, do I take it to someone?
Old 11-30-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

You have to get the lock cylinder out of the door first.....

then you have to find a variety of Hondas sidewinder tumblers (wafers) to replace the worn out tumblers with...The lock may have about 10 individual tumblers in it of varying 'sizes'.

I DIY this but I have the complete replacement tumbler kit to work with....If you can find the tumblers it's not difficult to swap them one by one.

Call your local locksmiths and ask if they have tumblers for Honda Sidewinder locks, then call your Honda dealer and ask the same......ask prices too but explain you already have the lock out of the door and will carry the lock in (if that's what you will be doing), bet locksmith will be sensible and dealer outrageous

Resources

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...oor-locks.html

http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/files/tsb/a03-068.pdf
(applies to far more cars than what's listed in the bulletin)

Old 12-01-2017
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

And my opinion on the subject is too simply remove all the tumblers for the free fix.
Old 12-01-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
And my opinion on the subject is too simply remove all the tumblers for the free fix.
Does that make the car unlockable?
Old 12-01-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
You have to get the lock cylinder out of the door first.....
Thank you. That's great information. I will probably take the lock out of the door and deliver it to a locksmith. I can't imagine the expense is too high.
Old 12-01-2017

Originally Posted by mwrohde
Does that make the car unlockable?
no, that makes it so just about any key can open it........but unless you install a flashing arrow sign pointing at it, nobody would know

Originally Posted by mwrohde
Thank you. That's great information. I will probably take the lock out of the door and deliver it to a locksmith. I can't imagine the expense is too high.
PHONE first!

In my (kinda small) town the locksmith shop sends them to me because they have not purchased the tumblers and equipment to do our sidewinder key cutting and programming
Old 12-01-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
PHONE first!
Got it. Will do.