Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2005 Civic Door Locks

Old 01-16-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
b15101r14944a is an unknown quantity at this point
2005 Civic Door Locks

Hello,

I have a 2005 Civic 2-door, the two regular keys and the grey key work fine with the ignition, passenger’s door, trunk, and gas lock. All three keys stick with the driver’s door lock, I use 10-W40 and it slides fine for a while.

I called the dealer, they said something about "a lock set" where all the locks and keys have to be replaced, not just the driver’s door lock. ABout $ 1100.00 for the whole car

Anyone have any insight into this? There has to be a way to just replace one door lock

Thanks

b.
Old 01-16-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2005 Civic Door Locks

Of course there is a way to change out a single lock.

Sounds like you have worn out tumblers in that lock cylinder. Common issue with the most used locks. Ignition will probably be next to do this.

The dealer SHOULD have a tumbler kit (for sidewinder locks) that came with a pile of blank door lock cylinders in the kit.

They are supposed to be able to build a single door lock cylinder that will work with your original keys, using that set.

Go to your dealer and tell them to look up an 04 Civic and find Service Bulletin 03-068.
(OR print this bulletin and hand it to them.)
http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/files/tsb/a03-068.pdf

Or, you can order a single door cylinder and it will come with a pair of keys that fit it, but then you will have to use more than one key. (one for the door, another to start the engine)
This cylinder can be retumbled to fit your original keys....IF your dealer can find the kit and someone that can handle it.

I don't know that lock shops would have the correct tumblers to fit Hondas sidewinder locks.
I know the dealer is the only place in my town that can do this, and I am the only person that does the work.

I wonder if I should start offering this service again. You pull out the lock and send it to me along with a good key and $$(a pile of money)$$, and I'd do my thing and send you back a working lock and key to reinstall in your door....
If the key is worn out it makes it hard to do the work though.
Old 01-17-2014
Registered!!

b15101r14944a is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the information,

You make a great point about the ignition, might as well replace that at the same time,

If you are offering the service, let us know.

b.
Old 01-17-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Liquid lubricants attract dust & dirt.
Old 01-17-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by b15101r14944a
Thank you for the information,

You make a great point about the ignition, might as well replace that at the same time,.
Even though the manufacturer says we aren't supposed to take those apart, I do a lot of those in other models with great success. It is the most often used lock in most of the cars, and they can eventually wear the tumblers and have issues.

If you decide to purchase and install a brand new ignition (steering column lock assembly) it would involve towing the car to the dealer to get the immobilizer programmed before the engine can run again..

If you are offering the service, let us know.

b
Send me a PM.
Old 01-17-2014
Registered!!

LucasV is an unknown quantity at this point

My local Honda dealership said they would "rekey" (They said they would replace the bearings, and still be able to use my current key.) my tumbler for $170. That said, as ezone mentioned, they do have that option.
Old 01-17-2014

for $170.
Is this quote for the entire job, meaning they remove and reinstall it in the door too?

they do have that option.
My experience is that not all employees know about it, nor are all capable of completing the task properly.
Old 02-19-2014
Pusher Jets Rule!

crxmanpat has a spectacular aura aboutcrxmanpat has a spectacular aura about

I'm getting ready to do the locks on my 2003 Civic LX Sedan. What I had planned to do was strip working locks from a used car (my ignition really needs replacing as you can remove the key from it with the car running), and I found a junked 03 that I got the ignition from. Problem was that I could not get either door cylinder as they were bad too. But I did pull the trunk, back seat and gas cap/trunk latch cylinder assemblies.

After watchng a video on YouTube, I decided to teach myself to fix the door locks. And once you get the door handle assemblies out of the door, the lock itself is actually pretty easy to fix. The problem is finding new tumbler pins to replace the worn out ones.

What happens is that over time, the tumbler pins get damaged (the red circled areas), and they stick in the cylinder housing, preventing you from turning the key. This pic shows where the pins normally get damaged:

Name:  Hondalockpins.jpg
Views: 5680
Size:  60.0 KB

I have not been able to source just the pins until recently. There are a few Chinese sites that sell them pretty cheap, but costs about $18 to get them shipped to the US. But, I can get 3 full sets of pins for about $22 shipped, which is a sight better than $300 plus for a new full lock set from Majestic (and I don't have to get the keys programmed to my car ). Here's the website where I found them:

https://www.apollo-auto.com/car-lock/honda-lock-pins

When I get the pins and do the locks, I'll probably write up a DIY for the procedure.
Old 10-12-2014
Registered!!

sanddunes is an unknown quantity at this point

what youtube video did you view?
Old 12-15-2014
Registered!!

garigola is an unknown quantity at this point

What grease or gell is good for door locks
Old 12-15-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

^^^^

Originally Posted by CraigW
Liquid lubricants attract dust & dirt.
Graphite lube would be best.