Exterior Post your issues with Exterior parts here! Exterior covers Body, Doors, Locks, Physical Removal/install lights, Hoods, fenders, etc. For Fundamentally Electrical issues, post on Electrical

just bought 2001 Civic ex need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mentaljen is an unknown quantity at this point
just bought 2001 Civic ex need help

I NEEDED a car and thought I was SO lucky to have found this pretty coupe with an automatic transmission that I could afford! only 100,000 miles! But of course, I know zero about buying used cars and may have got a lemon. But I have to make it work, I have NO choice. The good news is I have a friend who works on my cars that I trust and I am usually good at research.
my problem 2001 civic ex -srs lite on, dude who sold me car said go to Honda they will fix that free
BIG HUGE PROBLEM I can't get the hood open, hood release is released, but the latch doesn't seem to be engaged but rather stuck or jacked up somehow
bigger problem, my check engine light is on and I don't know why. My guy who works on my cars is 30 miles away and I'm scared to drive it that far.
I bought this car one week ago and have driven less than 100 miles. I've cried about it, that didn't help, had two guys try to open hood, with no luck. Can someone help me, please?
and which repair manual should I get or are they about the same. I don't know if timing belt has been changed and I am committed to doing 100% of work on car the right way. I have abused cars in the past, but no more. My economic status has changed drastically so I need this car to last ! any and all advice appreciated, thanks in advance -jen
Old 01-10-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: just bought 2001 Civic ex need help

But of course, I know zero about buying used cars and may have got a lemon.

Lesson #1) Prepurchase inspection.
If you had spent 100 to find out 'it's a death trap' and you should not buy the car, that might be the best 100 you ever spent.

Lesson #2) It is a used car. "Lemon" applies to new cars. This car has been driven 100,000 miles, it is not a lemon.
(At least I HOPE it was driven 100,000 miles, otherwise someone would have had one hell of a tow truck bill.)

You now own a used car, and you own all of its problems, and everything else that comes with it.
Time for you to own it.

2001 civic ex -srs lite on, dude who sold me car said go to Honda they will fix that free
Don't count on it. Seriously. Don't count on it.
If they will, that's great. But don't count on it.

I can't get the hood open, hood release is released, but the latch doesn't seem to be engaged but rather stuck or jacked up somehow
That's a bad sign already....

Did it work when you looked at the car?

my check engine light is on and I don't know why.
Getting codes read is easy.
Fixing them isn't always so easy.
But you need to get the hood open.

My guy who works on my cars is 30 miles away and I'm scared to drive it that far.
Don' be scurred yet.
If the engine light isn't flashing, and the engine still runs OK, go to Autozone (or most any big parts store) and get the code(s) read. Then you can figure out if you can go 30 miles with it.

While at the Zone, ask if anyone there can get the hood open?

You need to get the hood open, check the oil level and stuff like that.
HEY is it due for an oil change? (hint hint)

I've cried about it, that didn't help,
LOL!
Try praying, maybe your God is a 'car guy'.

had two guys try to open hood, with no luck.
Were they qualified to do this job, or did they just beat on the hood and yank it?

It actually takes time and dedication to get a hood open when the cable or latch is broken.
It is not easy to do, even with the car on a hoist, and all sorts of tools available.

Can someone help me, please?
Where are you at?

Contact the previous owner, see if they know the trick to getting the hood open.
I don't know if timing belt has been changed
Contact the previous owner with this question too.

I bet they know why the check engine light is on..... May as well ask about that too.

Yeah, I know this wasn't full of helpful answers....but it's all I got at the moment.