Exterior Post your issues with Exterior parts here! Exterior covers Body, Doors, Locks, Physical Removal/install lights, Hoods, fenders, etc. For Fundamentally Electrical issues, post on Electrical

Side mirror replacement, paint match

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ShelbyEX is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Side mirror replacement, paint match

I need to replace the passenger side mirror on my car. It busted off clean, but the plastic where the bolts screw in snapped. I'm trying to figure out the cheapest method to fix this. The electrical wasn't damaged at all or the actual mirror.

Option 1: Buy a new mirror assembly for $40, paint it. If I do this, I've found a few paints and such online. Is there one that works better? Do I need to sand or prime first? Most of what I'm finding are people sanding down old paint.

Option 2: I like option 2 as I like to take things apart. Buy a new mirror assembly, disassemble that one and my old one, and reassemble new parts into the old shell. Is that a challenging task? I have no idea.

Option 3: Pay more for an already painted mirror, or just give Honda $300.

Thoughts?

I've checked some salvage sites online, but no one can give me straight answers on what I will be getting. It's very frustrating!

Thanks
Old 07-29-2013
Registered!!

got2run5 will become famous soon enoughgot2run5 will become famous soon enough
Re: Side mirror replacement, paint match

car-part.com, Get a salvaged mirror in your color and replace the whole assembly. It's easy to do. Pull the triangular plastic piece from the corner of the window (you can see this in speaker install diy) unscrew the nuts and then pull the old mirror off.
Old 07-30-2013
Registered!!

ShelbyEX is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you! I looked into this yesterday, but no one seems to be able to give me a straight answer on the condition of the mirror. Have you ordered from there before?
Old 08-09-2013
Registered!!

jess21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ShelbyEX
Thank you! I looked into this yesterday, but no one seems to be able to give me a straight answer on the condition of the mirror. Have you ordered from there before?
Car-part is where I get all of my parts from. You have to punch in your area code and choose distance. Then go look at the part for yourself. I always call before I go to make sure it's there.