General Post issues, questions that are not in the other sub-forums

What's a bad condition 2005 Civic worth?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2021
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ccrr is an unknown quantity at this point
What's a bad condition 2005 Civic worth?

I'm sorry if this isn't the right category but the one that seemed right said it wasn't accepting new posts so I'm posting here.

I have a 2005 Civic sedan special edition. I bought it used in 2009 and haven't maintained it anywhere near as much as I should have as I was in a total financial disaster for most of the time I owned it and couldn't put a penny into it, it has about 140,000 km.

The current problems are:
-Brakes finished, mechanic said brake lines also leaking and finished so it needs new rotors, pads and brake lines
-Trunk and gas door levers are ruined, I have to open gas door through the trunk by removing the lock/cable, and trunk must be opened with the key at the back or it will never close again (heard these are common problems)
-AC out of gas but was told compressor still good
-Alternator and battery were replaced months ago
-I think I started feeling a faint vibration from either the transmission or engine

The mechanic is telling me fixing the brakes (new rotors, pads and brake lines) would be over $1000 Canadian and the car isn't worth that and recommends I scrap it and offers me $250 CAD for it.

It's a new mechanic at the same location I used to go but they changed owners so I'm not sure how much I can trust this new guy.

With the problems I mentioned does it seem plausible my car is due to be scrapped or is he trying to scam me to fix it and resell it for profit? Is $250 a good price? I would have hoped to get at least $500 especially since it has a virtually new battery and alternator (isn't it worth salvaging those being that new?)

If I agree to scrapping it, would I get proof it was actually scrapped and not fixed and resold?

Thank you
Old 04-27-2021
Super Moderator

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,330 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
Re: What's a bad condition 2005 Civic worth?

Yeah, they're going to flip it.

Nothing you mention is that big of an issue unless they're replacing all of the brake lines as opposed to just the brake hoses at each wheel. If they think all brake lines need replaced $1k CAD is definitely reasonable. Even if it's just the brake hoses $1k CAD isn't that far off.

I don't see how this thing should be scrapped. When I KBB guessing it's an LX special edition in good condition (which is the majority) it's valued at $5k+ CAD. Granted, it needs some work but still. $250 CAD is a joke of an offer unless this thing is completely rusted out. I bought a 2003 Civic with a bad transmission once for $400 USD and I felt like I was stealing.
Old 04-27-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,451 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ccrr
I'm sorry if this isn't the right category but the one that seemed right said it wasn't accepting new posts so I'm posting here.
moved to proper section.
7th gen, mechanical issues and since they are multiple, under General
you just did not look hard enough
Old 04-27-2021
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
Yeah, they're going to flip it.

Nothing you mention is that big of an issue unless they're replacing all of the brake lines as opposed to just the brake hoses at each wheel. If they think all brake lines need replaced $1k CAD is definitely reasonable. Even if it's just the brake hoses $1k CAD isn't that far off.

I don't see how this thing should be scrapped. When I KBB guessing it's an LX special edition in good condition (which is the majority) it's valued at $5k+ CAD. Granted, it needs some work but still. $250 CAD is a joke of an offer unless this thing is completely rusted out. I bought a 2003 Civic with a bad transmission once for $400 USD and I felt like I was stealing.
I'm not sure if it's an LX, how can I tell the exact model?

It has some rust but I wouldn't say it's completed rusted.

Are you saying it's worth paying $1000 to fix it? I was almost ready to scrap it but would have tried getting more than $250 for it, now I think it may be worth fixing.

If I fix it how much would it be worth in a year? One way or another I don't want to keep this car for much longer.

Also, I mentioned I thought I was feeling a slight vibration from the transmission or engine, could either be about to fail?

Do you recommend I get it fixed and keep it another year or try to get more for it in it's current condition?
Old 04-27-2021
Registered!!

BTW it was $12k CAD 12 years ago, can it really still be worth a few thousand?

Thanks
Old 04-27-2021
Super Moderator

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,330 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Use Kelley Blue Book or some other website to look up the value. When using the Canadian KBB it actually shows it's worth $3k CAD. It doesn't show an EX/LX special edition, just coupe or sedan. US evidently got both. Cars here must hold value better because it was showing $4,200 USD.

Your vibration is probably just a worn engine mount.
Old 04-27-2021
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,131 Likes on 945 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

As long as there's no holes in the body it's worth $1000-$1500 as it sits.
I would fix the brakes and the AC, maybe take it to a different shop. I got a similar run around after I bought my grandmother's car and brought it in for a safety
Old 04-27-2021
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
As long as there's no holes in the body it's worth $1000-$1500 as it sits.
I would fix the brakes and the AC, maybe take it to a different shop. I got a similar run around after I bought my grandmother's car and brought it in for a safety
I believe there are a few rust holes in the body, does that affect value a lot? In either case I wouldn't fix the AC as I don't use it much in summer.

If I paid $1000 to fix the brakes could I expect to sell it for $1000 a year from now?
Old 04-28-2021
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,131 Likes on 945 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Yeah that has a huge effect on the value.
post some pictures of the holes, car might not be worth it