General Post issues, questions that are not in the other sub-forums

Canadian built, US made, California ULEV certified

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019
Murphys mayhem law

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Murphys Law is an unknown quantity at this point
Canadian built, US made, California ULEV certified

Someone else bought and "fixed" this car for me to use. Well had friends who owned him him money, but they are actual mechanics.

2002 Honda civic EX, 114k miles, NYS rebuilt salvage title. VIN 2HGES26782H607618
1.7l vtec, technically 1688cc.

Has had new used motor, with heads, radiator, thermostat, front exhaust pipe with cat, currently replacing all the motor mounts that just broke.

ecu/PCM 37820-PLR-L55, 2425 456396, no longer available, replacement ends in 439 instead of l55

Head is Pmr-ha-6, motor has HA, and then d17a2

Tranny appears to be original BMXA-6273747 2?MX95

Finally got air out or coolant. When driving, if you keep on has pedal and it shifts above 4000-4500 rpm, she shifts smoke as hell. Driving thru town, she kicks, yeah I know motor mounts, but also revs 500-1000rpm before each shift. Manually shifting the automatic makes no difference.

Do not have motor that was pulled, have been trying to figure out what it should have. VIN lookup doesnt even show the theft and salvage issue. It also basically goes to regular 02 civic ex, which appears to have around 100 less compression than my US Canadian California car.

Calling about ECU today since without updates I'm assuming it could cause some trouble. With snapon modus edge it shows vtec working fine. However, there is no place to say ULEV. As I think I understand, that can shut down another 2 valves. Along with that, and how she runs, not sure if there are motor specifics, like the interior cam, that we no longer have due to motor swap. Car ran same before swap, but with slave title, assume wasnt original motor, and the idiots in charge never looked.
I was not in charge of this fiasco. However, only me and my friend are allowed to work on it now. First mechanic got it running, blew head 2 days later, and never replaced absolute garbage brake pads. 2nd mechanic replaced motor, a week ago, and never said motor mounts were bad. I assumed the kick when it shifted was from tranny issues.

Soooooo, I have been trying to cross reference every number I can find, and the VIN and even the ULEV test group it belongs to. Oh, and did I mention, says it has had 0 recalls. I did check Honda Canada site, it doesnt recognize VIN.

oh, and scanner hookup in along driver side center console. Everything I found on line said ECU would be near that, or along passenger side below glovebox but along the side Nope. My ECU was behind glovebox. Just one more little yellow school bus special quirk.

Any info, advice, swift kick in the *** , or whatever is greatly appreciated. Really hoping Tranny isnt junk. Oh, and on a side note. Yes I will fix eventually, but no engine light, so not worried now....... buuuut, when I received car, before motor replacement, previous owner had removed thermostat, and instead of jumping fuse to have both fans always on, idiot stripped the wires to radiator fan sensor on thermostat housing and taped them together. If I pull sensor, doesnt make a difference, fans always on. Again, no engine codes.

And I'm done with my book