Electronics Post information/questions/Issues about Electronic parts here.

5 min delay timer circuit for the trunk light

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2020
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
emich is an unknown quantity at this point
5 min delay timer circuit for the trunk light

where to buy 5 min delay timer circuit for the trunk light? My wife keeps leaving the trunk open and I am sick and tired recharging the battery.
Is building one the only option? Thanks
Old 06-29-2020
Super Moderator

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,322 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
Re: 5 min delay timer circuit for the trunk light

How bad do you need the light in the trunk? Could just remove the bulb.

Alternatively, swap it with an LED. I left my trunk open all night once, started perfectly fine the next morning.
Old 06-29-2020
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
How bad do you need the light in the trunk? Could just remove the bulb.

Alternatively, swap it with an LED. I left my trunk open all night once, started perfectly fine the next morning.
Thanks for the LED bulb idea.
Old 06-29-2020
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,156 Likes on 806 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

there's a bunch of "programmable" in-line times on amazon. By programmable, you can set them to whatever time you want. Some, you'll have to figure out your own enclosure for it. some are self-contained.

Here's a self-contained one, 0.1s to 9999hr adjustable

definitely look at the LED route though. Not all LED bulbs are created equal, I should add, with regards to brightness/usable light, at least. Want better visibility, stick with something with a warmer color temperature (3000K is straight up amber/yellow, 4000-4500K-ish will give you a slightly yellower than sunlight color, 5000K-5500K will give you natural sunlight color, 6000k and up, you start getting blue hues). Just to add to what @BrotatoChip said, I left my map lights on all night once. Car started up just fine. Here's what I'm using for my map/dome/cargo lights. They're stupid bright for the overhead lights. However, the way the cargo light is oriented in the cargo area of my hatch, I wanna go with something different for better light usage
Old 06-29-2020
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
there's a bunch of "programmable" in-line times on amazon. By programmable, you can set them to whatever time you want. Some, you'll have to figure out your own enclosure for it. some are self-contained.

Here's a self-contained one, 0.1s to 9999hr adjustable

definitely look at the LED route though. Not all LED bulbs are created equal, I should add, with regards to brightness/usable light, at least. Want better visibility, stick with something with a warmer color temperature (3000K is straight up amber/yellow, 4000-4500K-ish will give you a slightly yellower than sunlight color, 5000K-5500K will give you natural sunlight color, 6000k and up, you start getting blue hues). Just to add to what @BrotatoChip said, I left my map lights on all night once. Car started up just fine. Here's what I'm using for my map/dome/cargo lights. They're stupid bright for the overhead lights. However, the way the cargo light is oriented in the cargo area of my hatch, I wanna go with something different for better light usage
Thanks Very informative.
Old 06-30-2020
Super Moderator

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,322 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

If you do go the LED route don't get one with a built in load resistor. If you do it will act the same as a regular bulb.