Electronics Post information/questions/Issues about Electronic parts here.

unintended acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mrcheap is an unknown quantity at this point
unintended acceleration

so i was stopped yesterday, waiting for a car to pull out and all of a sudden i felt my car surge forward, as if i was hit from behind.

i am pretty sure my foot was clearly on the brake and not on both pedals.

i do recall this happening maybe a couple times before and now it's gotten me really scared.

i did some google search and i did see a few complaints of this happening, but not at the levels that toyota's experience a while back.

anybody else in this forum experience the same thing?

06 civic lx sedan
Old 01-21-2017
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: unintended acceleration

Originally Posted by mrcheap
so i was stopped yesterday, waiting for a car to pull out and all of a sudden i felt my car surge forward, as if i was hit from behind.

i do recall this happening maybe a couple times before and now it's gotten me really scared.

i did some google search and i did see a few complaints of this happening, but not at the levels that toyota's experience a while back.

06 civic lx sedan

Nope...!

mine is a 5speed DX 08 Civic. and Yes You are right about it happening
on Toyotas i have heard something about that. check your floor mats.!
especially if You have another mat over top of your existing oem mat
on my civic i have a rubber mat over top of the honda mat which a

few times got crumpled up into a ball that once got cought onto my clutch and
did not let it release all the way luckily i looked down and cought it before it would damage
anything.
Old 01-21-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

and all of a sudden i felt my car surge forward
How high did the engine RPM raise? The engine RPM would have to raise a whole bunch to overcome a firmly pressed brake pedal and make the car pull itself.

If you didn't have the brake pedal firmly pressed (barely enough to hold the car still)....a minor engine load change, such as when the AC compressor cycles on/off, could cause the car to move.

i am pretty sure
Not absolute?
Old 01-21-2017
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Left foot braker ??
Old 01-21-2017
Registered!!

mrcheap is an unknown quantity at this point

i am 100% sure my foot was on the brake, whether a portion of my foot was on the gas maybe a possiblity.

either way it surged pretty high as i recall, it lurched ahead as if i was flooring it

ill continue to monitor and see how it does and be ready to put the car in neutral if it somehow does happen again.
Old 02-25-2017
Registered!!

Shirley Harris is an unknown quantity at this point

Yesterday, I slowed to pull into a driveway that was on a slight incline. All of a sudden the car lurched forward faster than expected. I barely had my foot on the gas. I ended up tapping another cars bumper. I left and returned later and the car did it again but this time I was able to hit the break before it hit the other car again. Can this be fixed? I just bought this car and now I am afraid to drive it even though it hasn't happened again.
Old 05-24-2018
Registered!!

Irbaca is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mrcheap

06 civic lx sedan
I have a 2014 Honda Civic that also accelerated. I thought I was going to die. I had my foot on the brake but my car did not stop until I rammed it into a cement block and sidewalk 3 weeks ago. I wrote Honda and they did not reply. I walk or take the bus when I go somewhere. I am afraid to drive that car. Car Problem Zoo has a lot of incidents of acceleration.

Last edited by Irbaca; 05-28-2018 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Correctio n
Old 05-25-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

why not put it in neutral instead of ramming it into something?
Old 05-26-2018
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

If there is a problem with the new drive by wire TBs then we should hear these two out so we have a heads up for others.