Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

crunch in reverse (5-spd)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
malice29r is an unknown quantity at this point
crunch in reverse (5-spd)

Hey,

Every time I put my 5 speed '02 EX into reverse, I can hear a "crunch" sound come from the transmission.. it's really noticeable, especially in a quiet garage.. is this normal? If i had to describe the sound it would be similar to you turning the steering wheel back and forth on a flat garage floor, with some little pebbles under the wheels.. it's almost like that scratching sound the rocks would make as they move under the wheels..

Also I just hit 6100km and i'm noticing 2nd gear is getting really notchy, and i'm pretty sure that a couple times when I was getting up to speed really slow, I heard the same crunch that reverse makes as I was going from 1st to 2nd.. I can only hear it with the windows down though.. could this be an indication of failing synchros or anything?

this is getting to be kinda frustrating.. i have a big list of crap for the dealer to check out.. including: the possible need for a 2nd round of new struts, an *annoying* vibration/rattle whenever i clutch between 4000 and 5000 rpm (even at a standstill in neutral), clutch pedal makes a clicking sound, ...and the list goes on
Old 05-25-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
When you put it into reverse, does it drop into gear or do you feel it hang up and not go in? It will make a "clunk" sound when it drops into reverse, but if its hanging up, put the car in 4th, then go to reverse and see if that stops the hanging up.
Old 05-26-2003
Registered!!

branden is an unknown quantity at this point
its still under warranty...you can have it checked at your dealer, specifically the clutch
Old 05-26-2003
Registered!!

branden is an unknown quantity at this point
got the same problem before, i think they got it...
Old 05-28-2003
7thgen Man-gina

01WingsWestCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
when i bought my car used i was having the EXACT same problem with reverse and shifting into 3rd gear at speed my clutch would make a crunching sound. not sure how you drive your car or if youre a second owner, but the guy i bought mine from rode the car hard and the sounds were a result of needing a new transmission. it would have cost me over $700.00 but it was still under warranty. get it checked out ASAP and you may be able to prevent any further damage and save some money. hope that helps
Old 05-28-2003
7thgen Man-gina

01WingsWestCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
forgot to mention... the mechanic at honda told me that when they pulled my car apart there were actually pieces of the transmission broken off and just kinda laying around in there
Old 05-28-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
I thought the crunch sound when putting it in reverse on a 5-spd is normal since reverse doesnt have a synchro. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think its normal and I wouldnt worry about it.
Old 05-31-2003
Registered!!

usafstud will become famous soon enoughusafstud will become famous soon enough
make sure u put it into reverse when the car is not moving, according to the manual

i had the same problem on my first day with the car
Old 06-04-2003
MmmMMm.. I smell boost!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

joski will become famous soon enough
Hey guys I have this problem sometimes.. It happens when reverse isn't fully engaged.. Everytime I hear the crunch for even a second, I stop and put it back into reverse.. I can usually tell when it fully engages or not too.. If it doesn't engage for me, I put it back into N, take my foot off the clutch, then try again until it works before moving anywhere!
Old 06-05-2003
Registered!!

Devst8n is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey Malice,

Im with you on the transmission problems but the reverse problem you are having may be something simpler. Without getting too technical the reverse gear has safety mechanisms to prevent you from shifting into it from 5th, and also the actual sound whlie you reverse. If you have the clutch out and the engine idling the transmission is actual spinning along inside as if it was in 1st 2nd or 5th. the difference being is the output shaft isnt spinning.

If you push the clutch in and shift into reverse right away the tranny has to slow down to match the speed of the output shaft. The crunch (although bad sounding) isnt too bad as its the those safety mechanisms complaining about slowing down so quickly. To see if you have a problem try this:

Next time you are getting ready to shift push the clutch in and keep it there for about 5 seconds and then try shifting. It should flow smoothly and not make any noise. Second test: When you push the clutch shift the transmission to 4th right away and then reverse. This alligns the one side of the gearset and the 4th gear synchro will slow it right down without the fuss. You shouldnt hear any grinding then.

If you get grinding in either one of these tests I would take it back to them and show them that there is a problem.
Old 06-05-2003
Registered!!

armageddon is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Devst8n
Hey Malice,

Im with you on the transmission problems but the reverse problem you are having may be something simpler. Without getting too technical the reverse gear has safety mechanisms to prevent you from shifting into it from 5th, and also the actual sound whlie you reverse. If you have the clutch out and the engine idling the transmission is actual spinning along inside as if it was in 1st 2nd or 5th. the difference being is the output shaft isnt spinning.

If you push the clutch in and shift into reverse right away the tranny has to slow down to match the speed of the output shaft. The crunch (although bad sounding) isnt too bad as its the those safety mechanisms complaining about slowing down so quickly. To see if you have a problem try this:

Next time you are getting ready to shift push the clutch in and keep it there for about 5 seconds and then try shifting. It should flow smoothly and not make any noise. Second test: When you push the clutch shift the transmission to 4th right away and then reverse. This alligns the one side of the gearset and the 4th gear synchro will slow it right down without the fuss. You shouldnt hear any grinding then.

If you get grinding in either one of these tests I would take it back to them and show them that there is a problem.
The crunch has bothered me for me for a while but you have made me feel better about it.