Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

reliablity? should i wait til '04?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dragoon is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Dekun
So avoid the 17's because it seems like your riding on 16's because of the wide body the civic has
you mean the big wheel wells, right?
Old 07-26-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VTEC01EX is an unknown quantity at this point
I've got 24,500 on my 01 EX... squeaky clutch, rocking drivers seat (just recently fixed), shaky motor, tranny that pops out of 2nd sometimes, shot struts, and the worst stock tires I think Honda could find. After my last two GM cars, I expected quite a bit from Honda, and was really disappointed. I only hope I can get rid of it before my 3 and 36 are up.
Old 07-26-2003
Addicted to the Twisties!

FattyMcJ will become famous soon enoughFattyMcJ will become famous soon enough
I have an 02 EX and I love it. I used to own a 91 F-150, and an 83 pontiac 6000 LE....so that's all I have to judge from, but I'm impressed so far. My truck did nothing but suck gas, and leak oil. My friend used to make fun of me because all I did was fill the oil and check the gas, not the other way around like my Honda. My pontiac just plain blew up...engine fire due to dry rotted fuel line....POS! HONDA RULES! Seat rocking...I can deal with. Oil leak = bad news!
Old 07-27-2003
Bobaganoosh!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Pharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud of
Re: reliablity? should i wait til '04?

Originally posted by MITCHfromMN
okay so the theory is that honda fixes the bugs for every new year. i'm aware the 7thgens have lots of problems, especially the '01. i want to buy a '03, will most of the bugs be fixed? when does the '04 come out? 2004 being the last of the 7thgens wouldn't it be the best one to buy?? thanks.
I have an '01 and here are the problems I've had so far...Now to be fair, I'm not sure how much of this is the car or the mechanics at the dealership so you all can be the judge, jury and executioner....

1) I'm on my 3rd set of struts now. The first set I blew before the car was ever lowered. The set I have now were a gift from Honda complete with a $100 voucher as an added appologie. The struts they gave me are going to be in the 2004 models and they rock!

2) My AC compressor has been changed twice (2nd time was Friday).

3) My alrernator has been swapped out once and I think it's f u c k e d again.

Rundown:

The AC Compressor was nearly dead and the shop never took the belt off it (as they said they would) and as a result the car nearly caught fire and was stalling under braking all the way home on the higway in rush hour. Had it changed and found out in the summer that the AC never worked at all and it was just replaced the other day. Now there's another noise coming from the car that occurs under slight throttle increases and remains constant when the AC is on. I noticed a huge drop in volts when I turn the AC on and then it rebounds leading me to think that the alternator may be going again...So, back to the shop on Monday morning....

I am getting an '04 and my dealership (who are ever appologetic) are trying to rigg a deal to get me the car at very little additional cost.
Old 07-27-2003
Registered!!

erica02civicCPE is an unknown quantity at this point
hm i didnt realize how many people are dissapointed in their civics. my parents have had hondas for over 20 years, never had any major problems. use to be that you had to order accords or civics because so many people wanted them. they are still in great demand and highly reliable cars. accords and civics are the top rated cars, and not to mention...most highly broken into. dont know why some people complain...