Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

reliablity? should i wait til '04?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MITCHfromMN is an unknown quantity at this point
reliablity? should i wait til '04?

okay so the theory is that honda fixes the bugs for every new year. i'm aware the 7thgens have lots of problems, especially the '01. i want to buy a '03, will most of the bugs be fixed? when does the '04 come out? 2004 being the last of the 7thgens wouldn't it be the best one to buy?? thanks.
Old 04-14-2003
Registered!!

4bangin is an unknown quantity at this point
the 02 even have most, if not all the problems worked out. a new strut issue has just come about but nothing official yet (check my other thread about it, not a huge deal but whatever). anyway, the 03 models have no problems as of yet. i odnt think it is worth waiting until 04. buy an 03 or even see if you can find a good deal on an 02 that hasnt sold yet.
Old 04-14-2003
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
None of the years really have "lots" of problems. '01 is the worst year for obvious reasons.

Don't let this forum fool you, the civic is still one of the most reliable cars on the road.
Old 04-14-2003
Registered!!

solar is an unknown quantity at this point
the 04's won't be out until mid September, but like Mbow said, they are very dependable cars. I think the main complaint is rattles, but those are pretty easily fixed. Buy a 03 and have fun!!
Old 04-14-2003
anti rice

spoon will become famous soon enough
wen does the 04 come out?

edit: oops didnt see the post above me sry n/m
Old 04-14-2003
Registered!!

kennisonxgs is an unknown quantity at this point
My 03 has absolutely no probs and I ran it 10,000 miles in a few months. It also does not have any of the problems that most people who complained has.
Old 04-14-2003
Mr. Negative
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

DaveyD is a jewel in the roughDaveyD is a jewel in the roughDaveyD is a jewel in the roughDaveyD is a jewel in the rough
I have an 01. Come on people. I have almost 26000 miles, and my only problems were the seat rocking-fixed, and the front struts were leaking-also fixed. No problems. I see this car lasting me, a 22 yr old college student for another 4 or 5 years. I like my car, and with a couple little apperance mods, the car looks good. The only problem like mentioned at the rattles, and if you are determined, you can fix them your self.
Old 04-14-2003
Type-Race

doctor will become famous soon enoughdoctor will become famous soon enough
hey for all you with the seat rocking problem...does the seat actually move forward or backwards or what is the actualk problem?
Old 04-14-2003
Registered!!

what are the differences between 02 and 03? thanks to all that replied.
Old 04-14-2003
Registered!!

greggdogg is an unknown quantity at this point
New taillights, seat fabric (LX/EX), new console (LX/EX), new gauges (LX/EX), new cupholders (LX/EX).
Old 04-14-2003
Registered!!

the coupe didn't get new tails did it? i really hate when cars have patterns on the seats... why couldn't they leave em plain or something tasteful, not cheapy.
Old 04-15-2003
Registered!!

The tail lights didn't change for 03, just gauges and arm rest are the biggest difference you can see.
Old 04-16-2003
Registered!!

NorrinRadd is an unknown quantity at this point
As everyone said, there really aren't any major issues with the 7thgen just minor ones. I have an '01 and haven't had any major issues thus far, I've clocked 46,000 miles so far. I have had several relatively minor issues (IMHO of course, depending on the person they may be major). Since I've clocked quite a bit of miles for just 2 years here's what issues I've had... Please understand though, despite what I list and what's in this forum/thread, the 7thGenCivic is an extremely reliable car no matter the year.

1. Trunk rattles - fixed by cloth cushioning all cross bars under rear deck and duct taping them together, also cushioned the license plate. As I don't have a huge subwoofer I didn't need to fatmat.

2. Oem foglight cracking due to stress fractures on '01's - fixed by having the dealer replace for free via TSB.

3. OEM front underbody spoiler cracking too quickly plus wrong colored primer underneath - again, fixed by having dealer replace free of charge.

4. Seat rocking - just added extra washers between bolts.

As you can see from my experience with my '01 I haven't had any mechanical issues only cosmetic. This may be major for you, but it wasn't for me. FYI, I don't have any major performance mods other than intake, rims, lowering springs, and a strut tower bar. Maintenance-wise I get oil changes (Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w30) every 3k, clean my fuel injectors every 15-20k, have full/major maintenance service every 30k, and run 87 octane gas (I'd run higher, but don't need it until I do major stuff like turbo, swap, etc. Just to reiterate, IMHO the 7thGenCivic is very reliable for any year. All you really need to decide IMO is which year you like better style-wise.
Old 04-18-2003
Registered!!

Dekun is an unknown quantity at this point
My 01 tenshion arms sqweek a little because of the drop. and my window does rattle. No major problems i already clocked 48000. Still runs good and it looks good. Probably going on a 3rd paint job after hot import nights. Id take the 03 and take advantage of the rims that it comes with. You can always sell those and get some better looking ones. Remember 18's and 19's are in. So avoid the 17's because it seems like your riding on 16's because of the wide body the civic has
Old 04-18-2003
Registered!!

greatcasa is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Dekun
...Id take the 03 and take advantage of the rims that it comes with. You can always sell those and get some better looking ones. Remember 18's and 19's are in. So avoid the 17's because it seems like your riding on 16's because of the wide body the civic has
What the hell are you talking about?
Old 04-21-2003
Just Be

MangoEX should not be trusted
one of the most reliable car on the road Mbow? My friends' GM cars have double and even triple the milage of mine, and their cars never failed to start on them. Hmm... this happens to me at least 3 times a month
Old 04-21-2003
Just Be

MangoEX should not be trusted
Dekun -- your post made no sense whatsoever. Go back to school
Old 04-21-2003
Registered!!

Dekun is an unknown quantity at this point
what are you talking about.
Old 04-21-2003
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by MangoEX
one of the most reliable car on the road Mbow? My friends' GM cars have double and even triple the milage of mine, and their cars never failed to start on them. Hmm... this happens to me at least 3 times a month
Don't generalize your car's problems or a few others to represent the honda civic model. Fact is, it's still one of the most reliable vehicles on the planet. As for your friends GM cars, are you trying to be funny? Honda is light years ahead of any american made product. This isn't something one can argue over. Have a nice day!
Old 04-22-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by Mbow
Don't generalize your car's problems or a few others to represent the honda civic model. Fact is, it's still one of the most reliable vehicles on the planet. As for your friends GM cars, are you trying to be funny? Honda is light years ahead of any american made product. This isn't something one can argue over. Have a nice day!
Besides most Hondas are made in Ohio or Japan, GM's cars are mostly made in Mexico and Canada, lets see, cheap labor(GM) vs. wage labor(Honda). Who do you think is going to make a better car?
Old 04-22-2003
ak
Retired Mod

ak can only hope to improve
Our generation civics are dead reliable. I beat the crap out of my car every day and everything still works like new.

I have not heard of any problems for the 03 so far.
Old 04-22-2003
Registered!!

Devani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond repute
I like the rims....I dont have major prob....CD player replaced, seat rock problem fixed and I think thats about it.....
Old 04-24-2003
Registered!!

Squirt724 is an unknown quantity at this point
i got an 01 and i haven't had any problems...i've probably done more damage to the car than it having some sort of problem
Old 04-24-2003
Registered!!

dragoon is an unknown quantity at this point
i think the 05 will be the last year for 7th gens
Old 04-27-2003
Registered!!

Roosbok is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't think domestic cars are that far behind the imports, except they don't last as many years or miles, probably because the parts aren't as good. Most will go around 5 years/75,000 miles without major problems. The build quality, ride, and comfort, is equal to or superior to Honda for most US made cars. Honda and Toyota make better more efficient 4 cyl. engines which have also have longer life spans than 4 cyl. domestic engines. The bigger the engine, the better the domestic engines are, also the bigger the car.

You're not want to be owning your Honda anyway with over 100,000 miles, because unless you can do it yourself or have a friend who will give you a break on service costs the dealer is going to charge an arm and leg for routine maintenence at that mileage level.

Last edited by Roosbok; 04-28-2003 at 12:02 AM.
Old 04-28-2003
Premium Member

civicdude will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by dragoon
i think the 05 will be the last year for 7th gens
2005 will be the first year of the 8th gen. civic I think.

I have a 2001 civic too. I have had my pick of the first year problems too. I had a squeeky clutch, shaky engine, leaky struts, tranny problems, and a drivers seat that rocks. So far they fixed the clutch, the struts and the seat. My engine still shakes sometimes, and my transmission sometimes wont go into gear. I am very dissapointed in Honda's quality on this car. I have owned 3 other honda's and this one is by far the worst I have owned.
Old 07-24-2003
We pre-game harder than you party!

supermanrjs is a jewel in the roughsupermanrjs is a jewel in the roughsupermanrjs is a jewel in the roughsupermanrjs is a jewel in the rough
also the LX comes standard with a cd player in 03..........just an fyi....but I have close to 10500 on my 02 LX coupe and I have not had any problems except the door sensor being stuck on the drivers side.
Old 07-24-2003
Registered!!

j-jolly is an unknown quantity at this point
i have 80,000 miles on my 01 and i have had no probs except for what i have done myself so i did not evan know that they were having problems with the 01's
Old 07-24-2003
formerly 2k1CivicRacer

S2KREY is on a distinguished road
damm i have 5800 on mine and its a 01 but itdepends on howu drive theconditionyour car will be, i drive my car reallie hardwith most bolt on and the worst was a blown tranny...but it all depends on how u drive
Old 07-24-2003
Registered!!

j-jolly is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah ive gone through a tranny and an engine but i did that my self that was not because it was built bad but i was teaching my girl freind how to race and she went from 3rd red lined to 2nd twice and i had done it twice to on accdent i was just caught in the moment and had my head up my ***

Quick Reply: reliablity? should i wait til '04?