Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Inside of rear window fogging up

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
solar is an unknown quantity at this point
Inside of rear window fogging up

I've never had this problem before but this morning parts of my car were covered with dew, so I wiped off the outside windows and was on my way. I noticed that the bottom half of my rear window was fogged up on the inside of my car, I checked to see if something in my trunk was wet but everything was dry. Anyone have this problem? I'm a little concerned because that normally can only happen if theres some type of leak. I've had my car for 1½ years and never had this problem before. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-11-2003
Registered!!

sg2kca is an unknown quantity at this point
its winter here, windows fog up all the time, just turn on a/c and it should go away, or crack open a window
Old 02-11-2003
Registered!!

TheNick is an unknown quantity at this point
my girlfriend had that problem but all her windows would fog up, eventually her car started to smell and it turned out her back window had a broken seal and water was leaking in. Check your back seat to see is wet.

thenick
Old 02-11-2003
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: TheNick
my girlfriend had that problem but all her windows would fog up, eventually her car started to smell and it turned out her back window had a broken seal and water was leaking in. Check your back seat to see is wet.

thenick[hr]
Thats what I was thinking, because it shouldn't matter what type weather is outside; as long as the car is "sealed" up it shouldn't fog like that on the rear window. Besides I live in Florida and it not that cold right now.
Old 02-11-2003
Registered!!

2Hottie is an unknown quantity at this point
Wanna hear something scary?? My windshield has actually had frost on the inside of it after sittibg outside in the cold for a while....

2Hottie
Old 02-11-2003
Su Mo

RSXtypeIvtec is on a distinguished road
[hr]Originally posted by: 2Hottie
Wanna hear something scary?? My windshield has actually had frost on the inside of it after sittibg outside in the cold for a while....

2Hottie[hr]
i get that all the time...
Old 02-11-2003
The Man, Myth and Legend

Location: Western Canada, where the beer is cold and the women are HOT!
ZMan2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Double check and make sure that when you turn on the rear defroster, you don't turn on the re-circ button too. The one with the car with the arrow circling around it. My wife would use that when it was cold outside to heat up the car faster, but in the cold, the inside of the windows would ice up. It took me about a week to get rid of all of it. I just made sure that it wasn't on, and had the A/C button pushed, because the A/C button is supposed to take the moisture out of the air, therefore it should remove the moisture in the car, it just might take a while.
Old 02-11-2003
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: 2Hottie

2Hottie[hr]
I also have had fog on the inside of the windshield but never on the rear window, and it wasn't just a little fogged up, it was almost dripping wet. Plus I drove all the way to work and it still didn't clear out. Normally the reason the windshield fogs up is because more heat and condensation is focused in the engine bay which is warmer, and doesn't return to ambient temp as quick as the other parts of the car as it sits out over night.

I just want to know if anyone has had issues with rear window leaks or seals other than "the Nick"

[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-11-2003
Registered!!

Ronin is an unknown quantity at this point
I get that rear condensation sometimes too, and there are no leaks in my car that I know of. I don't think any car is ever completely "sealed". If it is really humid outside, the moisture in the air will find its way in and condense on the inside of your windows. And if it is really cold, it will freeze on the inside.

Another issue I have is a slow, constant buildup of film on the inside of my windows. I thought it would eventually die down, but it's keeps comin back up after every cleaning. Usually takes 2-3 weeks after a cleaning for it to become noticeable again. At first I thought it was gases from the new materials in a new car, but I guess now it's just dirt being left behind from the moisture in the air.

Old 02-13-2003
Just Be

MangoEX should not be trusted
There's something that was developed in the late 60s by General Motors... it's called the electric defroster Just playin' with ya.. But seriously, have you tried it? Sometimes, even rarely, the properties outside will be just right to create those types of condensation conditions. Nothing wrong with your car, just need the proper balance/mixture of humidity/temp outside
Old 02-13-2003
Just Be

MangoEX should not be trusted
And Ronin, it IS due to the new materials in your car. The plastics (ABS) contain a chemical used in the moulding process that "evaporates" off of the panel(s).