Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Fog in cleared headlights. NEED A SOLUTION.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nytejade is an unknown quantity at this point
Fog in cleared headlights. NEED A SOLUTION.

I understand this topic has been discussed before, but I couldn't really find any answeres in those threads and I'm hoping that maybe someone has found a solution but hasn't posted it yet... Here's my story.

Sometime in june I cleared my headlights. I did them kind of fast and didn't do a great job sealing them. So a couple of weeks ago I took them off, took them apart, cleaned them out, and then resealed them. I sealed them very well applying another coat on the outside there the plastic meets together. THen I got a blowdryer and blew into the housing for a couple of minutes before sealing it with the light bulbs. Put them on my car and then drove... Later on that night I started noticing some fod only in the portion where the reflector type thing is on the bottom side where it would be behind the orange piece that was removed. It was only fogging there on certain days so I didn't get too concerned. I went out to my car a couple of minutes ago and noticed that the ENTIRE housing has a layer of fog on the inside of it. I've been through hell and back with this fogging problem and I can't seem to eliminate it. Does anyone have ANY suggestions? I've tried everything.
Old 11-15-2002
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civicdude will become famous soon enough
I used alot of silicone after clearing my lights....I actually did them 3 times before I got a tight seal. The third time I used like 6 coats of silicone...letting them dry in between....and then I installed the lights. They do not fog up anymore.
Old 11-15-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: civicdude
I used alot of silicone after clearing my lights....I actually did them 3 times before I got a tight seal. The third time I used like 6 coats of silicone...letting them dry in between....and then I installed the lights. They do not fog up anymore.[hr]
Hmmm... I'm starting to think Silicone isn't the best way to go... I mean, look at the thickness/stickiness of the stuff that's in there already. That stuff is THICK. We should probably using something equally as thick to reseal them... Well. The fog quickly dicipates as soon as it gets a little heated... When it gets a little warmer maybe I"ll try sealing them with something thicker.

And when you say you did them 3 times do you mean you actually took the headlights off your car 3 different times and resealed them 3 different times because they kept fogging?
Old 11-18-2002
Registered!!

shawnboi777 is an unknown quantity at this point
Great... I just cleared out my headlights with my friend this weekend. It took us forever and wasn't easy. I beginning to wonder if it was even worth it. My lights now have a major amount of moisture inside the light housing. I think I'm going to try running a blow dryer through them and see if that helps out. If anyone else has any suggestions, please let me know.
Old 11-18-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
Let them dry up and use a butt load of silicone. I had so much silicone coming out of mine that had to trim the excess off the outside. I like to overdo things and this was no exception. 6 months and no site of any moisture.
Old 11-18-2002
Registered!!

I'm just hoping a company will release a TRUE clear headlight at some point. Though the market for them isn't as big as it would normally be if you could clear your headlights yourself. BUt I heard APC is making a clear headlight.. *shrugs*
Old 09-01-2003
*BoY*CaR* *GiRL*DRivER*

fine02civicgurl is an unknown quantity at this point
i know this thread has been dead for a long time,but i have projectors, w/moisture. i did not install and do not know anything about how to and all that crap. but my question is about the hairdryer. does the bumper have to come off, etc etc and go the whole nine yards, and then use the hairdryer? or is there an easier way.