Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2004 Civic EX 1.7L consistent grinding noise (video)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dewyatt is an unknown quantity at this point
2004 Civic EX 1.7L consistent grinding noise (video)

https://youtu.be/WERp4cS8vuk?t=31

https://youtu.be/WERp4cS8vuk?t=111

This is an automatic with about 130k miles.

Symptoms:
  • Grinding (?) noise (for approx 1 second), seemingly accompanied by a resistance to movement (like a braking force).
  • Only reproducible when you first start the car and start driving at very low (parking lot) speeds.
  • To reproduce the sound again, you must cycle the engine off and back on. The delay between switching the car off and back on (if any) does not seem to make any difference. I have also tried switching to P and back to D, etc, but this does not reproduce the noise, the ignition must be cycled.
  • It happens in all gear shift positions (reproducible in D, R, 2, and seemingly in N as well but that's harder to confirm).
  • It happens regardless of whether you are turning or going straight (in the video I'm turning, but that's because it's a small parking lot).

Things I have done:
  • Changed ATF since it was due (4x times, as recommended in the manual).
  • Serviced front brakes (cleaned, removed some foreign material (rope?) caught in left-front caliper+rotor area, and lubed).
  • Scanned for any codes, just in case (ECM, TCM, ABS, SRS at least). None.

Last edited by dewyatt; 12-13-2018 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Disable media embed (poor formatting)
Old 12-09-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: 2004 Civic EX 1.7L consistent grinding noise (video)

Originally Posted by dewyatt
  • Only reproducible when you first start the car and start driving at very low (parking lot) speeds.
  • To reproduce the sound again, you must cycle the engine off and back on. The delay between switching the car off and back on (if any) does not seem to make any difference. I have also tried switching to P and back to D, etc, but this does not reproduce the noise, the ignition must be cycled
Starter getting stuck?
Old 12-10-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Originally Posted by GolNat
Starter getting stuck?
Very good suggestion to check.

Very simple test, with the engine running, turn the key to start position again.

If you hear the starter gears grinding it’s fine, if you don’t its still engaged and very possibly your issue.
Old 12-10-2018
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

The ABS control unit checks the pump motor

operation during initial diagnosis when the vehicle is

started. You may hear the motor operate at this time,

but it is normal.

Is this what you hear? Although it does sound different than the usual "sproing" or "buzz".
Old 01-29-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dewyatt is an unknown quantity at this point

I finally got a chance to test this yesterday!
When I pulled the ABS fuse (under dash #11), the sound does not occur. I plug the fuse back in, the sound is back.
The ABS is the only thing on that fuse, so that is indeed what is making the noise.

Looking around, I think it might be normal for this particular ABS modulator to make that noise...I think.

Anyways, thanks!

(Just for fun I also did the starter test suggested above, but it behaved as expected)