Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Multiple TDC sensor failures

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beernite is an unknown quantity at this point
Multiple TDC sensor failures

Hi, all-

I think I know the answer to my question, but I wanted to get you more experienced folks' advice. I did my due diligence by performing multiple forum searches before starting this thread, and I think my issue is a bit unique enough to merit a new thread. I have an '02 LX w/ 188K miles. After losing engine power and getting a p1361 code, I replaced the factory TDC sensor myself about a year and a half ago with a cheap replacement from eBay. I lost power and got another P1361 code this past August. Out of shame that I had bought a cheap part and fear that I didn't install it correctly, I had a trusted shop replace the TDC sensor. Last week, I lost power again, exact same symptoms. I haven't pulled the code, yet but will do so soon and report back. My preliminary thinking is that this is surely a connection issue, no? I realize that is implicit in the code itself (intermittent) therefore I cannot imagine that I'm having this sort of bad luck with TDC sensors.

Here's my ultimate question: aside from where the TDC sensor itself plugs in, are there other connections/junctures along the way where I can be investigating contacts to make sure the computer is getting a consistent signal regarding cam position?

Any other thoughts or advice? The motor and transmission are in amazing shape and I'd love to drive this car until the wheels fall off. Thanks for your patience with this newb and my sincere apologies if my search failed to bring up a similar thread.
Old 10-04-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: Multiple TDC sensor failures

That sensor wire is one of the longest wires that goes from ECU to a sensor, so yes it’s possible you have a broken wire that the ends ”just touch contact” and can lose connection based on vibrations, temperature, color of the moon or any random variable.

Also possible you have a failing ECU pin that’s not reading the sensor correctly, and also possible contacts are dirty, also possible marginal sensors just failing over time.

Old 10-05-2018
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Use an OEM Honda camshaft sensor only.
Old 10-05-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Your trusted shop installed a cheap aftermarket sensor, same as you did?
Get code.
If same code, Buy a new sensor from Honda. Install.
Old 10-18-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beernite is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, all. I will update once the situation is resolved.