Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

04 Civic EX with engine from an 01 getting P0134

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
squeakywheel is an unknown quantity at this point
04 Civic EX with engine from an 01 getting P0134

Alright folks, this is my first post here and I need your help getting rid of a P0134 on my sister's Civic so it can pass emissions. Here's some background on the car:

It's an 04 EX sedan. A couple years ago she ran it out of oil which killed the engine. She took the car to some shop and they swapped the engine. I don't know much else regarding the engine swap, but last year I was doing some work on it when I noticed the green VIN tag on the back of the engine was from an 01 car. The CEL has been on for a long time, probably since the engine swap but I don't know that for sure. The code is P0134.

Here's what I've done:

The first thing I did was replace the upstream O2 sensor that was apparently faulty. I had gotten a couple of O2s from some EX Civics at a junkyard as I was trying to fix it for cheap so it can get tested for emissions asap. I don't remember what year the donor cars where, but I know one of them was pre-04 and the other probably was as well. I had installed one of the used O2s but never cleared the CEL (I didn't know how at the time). Either way, the CEL never went away and a couple months later, the car was already past due for emissions. So my sister brings the car back to me and I installed the other used O2 sensor and cleared the CEL. After about 15 minutes of driving, the CEL came back. After this, I did some research and learned that the 01-03 engines are different than the 04-05 engines, with the main difference being that the 01-03 cars had narrow band O2s and the 04-05 cars had wide band O2s. It also seemed that people were having problems with knock-off-brand sensors and given that both used O2 sensors I had tried were NTK, I decided to get the proper Denso O2. Just 2 days ago, I replaced the upstream O2 with a Denso 234-9017, the one meant for the 04-05 years. Well I cleared the CEL and it came right back after driving about 50 yards. I have confirmed that the car still has the original ECU (part number 37820-PLR-A72), and that the wiring from the O2 sensor's connector to the ECU connector is undamaged by testing resistance with a multimeter. Yesterday, I decided to check for any possible exhaust leaks before the sensor, and I immediately thought I had found the problem when I noticed the two spring bolts were a bit loose, and at least three nuts/bolts for the exhaust manifold were also loose. I looked up the torque specs and tightened everything down to spec. Then I cleared the CEL again, went for a drive, and after about 50 yards, the CEL comes back. One more thing worth noting is that two other codes appeared when the car was scanned 2 months after installing the first used O2 sensor (P1172 and P2A0), but only the P0134 has come back after I've cleared it. I think this is because I never completed a drive cycle between clearing the CEL and scanning it again, so only the P0134 comes back.

I'm not sure what to do anymore. I thought all the D17A2 engines were mechanically identical from 01-05, so it seems that in theory the wideband O2 should work well with the 04 ECU despite the 01 engine. Also, it seems odd that one of the used NTK O2s (likely pre 04) lasted the longest before triggering the CEL. I don't think it makes any sense to try a Denso 01-03 narrowband sensor at this point, but I'm open to any ideas and suggestions. I fear the only solution at this point would be another engine swap from an 04-05 car, but I really hope it will be something far easier.
Old 09-06-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: 04 Civic EX with engine from an 01 getting P0134

First change your lingo. 01-03 use a O2 sensor, 04-05 use a LAF as upstream sensor.

The 04-05 ECU cannot read a O2 sensor..

If you been pulling parts off pre-04 EXs you have next to 0 chance to get it working..
Not actually 0% because there is always chance some parts cleric sold a 04-05 sensor to a guy driving a 03 and on his back to the parts store to see why MIL didn’t clear he gets bumped into by a F150 going 1mph and totals out the Honda.. You pull that sensor from the junkyard, but even though it was the right type of sensor it still doesn’t work because the HONDA ECU is tuned to a very specific resistance (yes 04-05 are resistance based not volts) and anything less than actual Honda branded part was not quality checked to be sure it was within tolerance.

Anyone that tells you the engine needs to replaced due to a non-signal on a sensor needs to smoke less weed maybe?
Old 09-08-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
First change your lingo. 01-03 use a O2 sensor, 04-05 use a LAF as upstream sensor.

The 04-05 ECU cannot read a O2 sensor..

If you been pulling parts off pre-04 EXs you have next to 0 chance to get it working..
Not actually 0% because there is always chance some parts cleric sold a 04-05 sensor to a guy driving a 03 and on his back to the parts store to see why MIL didn’t clear he gets bumped into by a F150 going 1mph and totals out the Honda.. You pull that sensor from the junkyard, but even though it was the right type of sensor it still doesn’t work because the HONDA ECU is tuned to a very specific resistance (yes 04-05 are resistance based not volts) and anything less than actual Honda branded part was not quality checked to be sure it was within tolerance.

Anyone that tells you the engine needs to replaced due to a non-signal on a sensor needs to smoke less weed maybe?
I thought the Denso 234-9017 was the same exact thing as the Honda branded sensor. At least that's what I had found through some research. Many people have had success with that sensor in an 04-05, but I it seems this particular car is the exception. So I guess it's OEM or bust? Does this mean that the 01 engine in the car is mechanically identical to the 04 engine? If this is the case, then in theory the Honda branded sensor should fix the problem. What are the chances that the ECU is the culprit?
Old 09-09-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Originally Posted by squeakywheel
I thought the Denso 234-9017 was the same exact thing as the Honda branded sensor.
I completely agree with that statement. It’s the next part that creates the issue. Honda doesn’t just say make this part and we will use it.

The Honda order contract will stipulate that every sensor sent to them will be quality control tested to be within a narrow spec range so Honda can tune the ECU to trust the signal provided is as close to reality as possible.

That level of testing in a lot of cases cost more than the actual components of the part itself..

So while your odds are good a direct buy part may work, your odds are nearly 99.something% a sensor sold by Honda will work with your car.

Old 09-14-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic

I completely agree with that statement. It’s the next part that creates the issue. Honda doesn’t just say make this part and we will use it.

The Honda order contract will stipulate that every sensor sent to them will be quality control tested to be within a narrow spec range so Honda can tune the ECU to trust the signal provided is as close to reality as possible.

That level of testing in a lot of cases cost more than the actual components of the part itself..

So while your odds are good a direct buy part may work, your odds are nearly 99.something% a sensor sold by Honda will work with your car.

I installed an original 36531-PLR-003 Honda sensor yesterday and all is well now. I cleared the CEL and it hasn't come back after about 10 miles of driving. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-14-2018
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough

It depends where you bought the "denso" sensor from also. Shady sellers online might sell you faulty units. I had this experience all because I didnt want to cough up the 100 bucks for a proper "Denso"