Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Engine Light On / Oxygen Sensor Keeps Failing

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011
Devoted Civic Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
twistedslim is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine Light On / Oxygen Sensor Keeps Failing

I have a 2005 Civic Sedan Special Edition. I had taken the car to a the mechanic to have the CHECK ENGINE light condition looked at and it came back with an Oxygen Sensor code. There were two possible sensors for the car so they tried one, it failed a day later. They tried the other and ran the car for some time and the condition was clear for 5 days.
The CHECK ENGINE light is on again and i have yet to go to the mechanic for the third time.
Any ideas or suggestions?
I had read another post that said:
"You have to be careful that you replaced it with the correct type of sensor, 04-05 civics came standard with wideband type air/fuel ratio sensors, not oxygen sensors. using a regular o2 sensor wont work."

Help me out, any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-17-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Engine Light On / Oxygen Sensor Keeps Failing

Originally Posted by twistedslim
I have a 2005 Civic Sedan Special Edition. I had taken the car to a the mechanic to have the CHECK ENGINE light condition looked at and it came back with an Oxygen Sensor code. There were two possible sensors for the car so they tried one, it failed a day later. They tried the other and ran the car for some time and the condition was clear for 5 days.
The CHECK ENGINE light is on again and i have yet to go to the mechanic for the third time.
Any ideas or suggestions?
I had read another post that said:
"You have to be careful that you replaced it with the correct type of sensor, 04-05 civics came standard with wideband type air/fuel ratio sensors, not oxygen sensors. using a regular o2 sensor wont work."

Help me out, any assistance is greatly appreciated.
This is very true. What sensors did the mechanic use, they aren't the same for every 7g Civic year like some people seem to think.
Old 01-17-2011
Devoted Civic Driver

Receipt says : SG1862 Ox. Sensor.
This was the original that failed after a day. He replaced this one with something very similar (something about the differences between a LX and say a DX or something i'm not completely sure) and it is this similar one i am again having issues with.
Old 01-17-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Go demand a full refund your mechanic and proceed to a find another shop, or buy a 02 sensor socket and do it yourself, because thats a sensor for an 01-03 Civic.

That sensor is $50, the sensor you need will close to $400. Order it from http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com, they have the lowest prices on Honda parts by far.
Old 01-17-2011
Devoted Civic Driver

36531-PLM-306 SENSOR,A/F RATIO LIST $218.15 HONDA PRICE $152.71

36532-PMM-A01 SENSOR, RR. OXYGEN LIST $310.32 HONDA PRICE $217.22

After some research these are the sensors on a 2005 Honda Civic Sedan Special Edition (LX) KA4AT (emmission and trans). My car must be the LX since the honda parts store only has one selection for a 4 door special edition.

I'll assume it is the RR. Oxygen sensor i need if they were going on about an 02 sensor code.

Thanks so freaking much. It helps to know these guys are bumbling through this and it also helps to know more about how to get this fixed and to know EXACTLY what parts i need. I will demand they fix it for what i have paid already or i will demand my money back to have it fixed properly at the honda shop.

Thanks Thanks Thanks
Old 01-17-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Your very welcome.

Glad I could help.
Old 01-18-2011
Registered!!

link7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Look at the code to see which sensor it is.

I think the codes call both the upstream and downstream sensors "oxygen sensors" even though the upstream one is an a/f sensor.

It will say something like bank 1, sensor 1 or something like that.

Don't spend $200 and replace the wrong sensor.

Another option is to go to a junkyard and see if you can get one for cheaper and see if it works. Just make sure you get it from the correct model year. My friend owns a junkyard and he says he throws tons of them out every day.