General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Recurrent trouble code P0131 (O2 sensor)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civic99whistler is an unknown quantity at this point
Recurrent trouble code P0131 (O2 sensor)

I've had my Civic hatchback (99) for a year now and I've had troubles with the O2 sensor a few times already. The first time just a day after buying the car, the check engine light came on for some troubles with the O2 sensor and I ended up changing the catalytic converter. Then last spring the same thing happened and this time I changed the O2 sensor itself.
Last week the light came back on and no surprise, it's still P0131, trouble with the O2 sensor (low voltage). It seems clear that I have an emission problem but somehow I doubt that my O2 sensor is the problem itself.

Does this happen to some of you? Would anyone have a suggestion on what I should be doing?

thanks!
Old 12-10-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Recurrent trouble code P0131 (O2 sensor)

did you use an OEM sensor (or a bosch oem type from auto store)? using a universal or other off brand will not work properly. if you used the proper one, something is fouling out the sensor. either you are having engine problems like running rich and thats causing the sensor to go bad fast, or something is contaminating the outside of the sensor exposed to the engine bay like coolant or something spilling on it. also make sure you are running the correct sensor, most cars have primary and secondary, and they will not work switched around. so make sure you actually are using the correct sensor.
Old 08-10-2009
Registered!!

mclean987 is an unknown quantity at this point

im having a simliar problem with my 2002 civic ex, i bought 2 brand new o2 sensors from honda dealer and after i installed the front o2 the code P0131 went away and it was just the P0141 secondary o2 code that was left, i then installed the secondary o2 and then when i recheck codes its telling me both are bad. i dont know what to do now im stumped i was wondering if maybe i should swap them around ? the link where i bought them from majestic honda is below correct me if im wrong is no 18 the front o2 and 19 the rear o2 ?

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...T+PIPE-MUFFLER
Old 08-10-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Check and make sure your getting voltage and ground. There is a way to check to make sure the heater wire is working but I dont remember how. Download the honda repair manual on here and read up on it, its such a good book to have.
Old 08-10-2009
Registered!!

mclean987 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks dude ! what tools do i need to check voltage and ground ?
Old 08-11-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

use a multimeter to check your voltage, and I guess you could use it to check ground, but I'd do a visual inspection as well.
Old 08-23-2009
^Warranty voider

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Running Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of light

I had problems with my catalytic converter.... six years ago. I cut that bitch off and the problem went away!

In the EJ generation civic there is a common problem with the wires under the intake manifold stripping and grounding/shorting/shitty grounding. Check those out.