Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Honda not Starting after seafoam treatment

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bealiebeach is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda not Starting after seafoam treatment

Okay I have a 2004 Civic DX Coupe has 190,000 miles on it.
So I just got this car and was trying to just do some preventive maintenance to make sure everything was operating at the best it could. So I decided to do seafoam. Did the can in the tank, 4 OZ in the oil, then was doing the spray into the intake. When I was about half way done with the bottle it kinda shook and made my hand slip off the throttle and it died. So I went to start it to keep the treatment going and it now will not start.

It turns over but doesn't even try to start. So far I have waited two days to make sure the seafoam had evaporated. I checked the spark plugs today and decided to change them. Still no luck. There is no check engine light that is on. I got some starting fluid and still no start and not even close to starting.

I'm thinking ignition coils but there is no check engine light. I'm planning on checking the cylinder compression as well. Does anyone have any other ideas or has had this happen?
Old 09-02-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: Honda not Starting after seafoam treatment

Try removing the top O2 sensor, you might have actually blown the final straw worth of junk to completely seal up the catalytic converter.
Old 09-02-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Cylinders may be flooded? Try cranking the engine with the gas pedal fully depressed (WOT). This will disable the injectors and allow maximum airflow.
Old 09-02-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Pull the spark plugs and crank it, see if anything come comes out, if they reek of seafoam leave the plugs out overnight and try again
Old 09-02-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Probably flooded it, plugs got wet and now won't fire.

Might also have a pool of liquid down in the bottom of the intake manifold. You might want to extract that out of there before it decides to cause more problems
Old 09-02-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Probably flooded it, plugs got wet and now won't fire.

Might also have a pool of liquid down in the bottom of the intake manifold. You might want to extract that out of there before it decides to cause more problems
How would I do that? Just looks down in there?
Old 09-02-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Try removing the top O2 sensor, you might have actually blown the final straw worth of junk to completely seal up the catalytic converter.
I'll give this a try as well. I will have the Coils tomorrow and will replace them all really quick.
Old 09-02-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Megalodong
Cylinders may be flooded? Try cranking the engine with the gas pedal fully depressed (WOT). This will disable the injectors and allow maximum airflow.
I tried this sadly it didn't help.
Old 09-03-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

You should not be buying and changing parts. You will just create more and separate problems. Verify you have fuel pressure and the injectors pulse, verify spark, don't start buying parts.
Old 09-03-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by RobertD
You should not be buying and changing parts. You will just create more and separate problems. Verify you have fuel pressure and the injectors pulse, verify spark, don't start buying parts.
so I checked for spark did not have spark. All fuses are good and the timing belt. Is not broken.
Old 09-03-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

I would recommend rechecking with a plug grounded to a good ground that you reeeeally have no spark, and then waiting from some of the smarter minds here why that might be. I can't imagine four coils could possibly fail at the same time, and usually those are not returnable, so I'd hate to see you waste money on something you don't need.
Old 09-03-2018
Registered!!

Read the similar 04 civic no spark thread here for ideas and testing info thread here: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...-no-spark.html

Last edited by RobertD; 09-03-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-03-2018
Registered!!

I verified there is no spark. I took each plug and put it up against the block in order to ground it and there was no spark. I'll check out that link.
Old 09-03-2018
Registered!!

Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Are you sure the ECU is even on? Hook a code reader up to it? Check engine light starts on, but turns off?

Next I would check all the harness ground connectors on the engine and frame.. by check I mean unbolt, clean, apply dab dielectric grease and rebolt.

Dont ignore fact previous owner might have put some aftermarket thingajob on it thinking no one is gonna steal it now and forgot to tell you about it....
Old 09-03-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

so I checked for spark did not have spark..
I'm thinking ignition coils but
I will have the Coils tomorrow and will replace them all
4 coils do not go bad at the same time.

Test, don't guess.
Old 09-03-2018
Registered!!

Solved it. It was a fuel pump fuse. Does the car not spark if that fuse is blown?
Old 09-03-2018

Depends on which fuse it was. Some cover far more than just what is listed on the label. .
Which position number in which fuse box?

WHY did it blow?
Old 09-03-2018
Registered!!

Depends on which fuse it was. Some cover far more than just what is listed on the label. .
Which position number in which fuse box?

WHY did it blow?
Under the dash. Number 13 the fuel pump one
Old 09-03-2018

According to the manual i have in front of me:

Fuse 17 is labeled fuel pump.
Provides power to SRS, PCM terminal E9, and main relay #2
Soooo yea if the PCM is missing one of its power sources I can see it not letting anything work including everything for ignition (spark) output.

But what caused the fuse to blow?
Old 09-04-2018
Registered!!

According to the manual i have in front of me:

Fuse 17 is labeled fuel pump.
Provides power to SRS, PCM terminal E9, and main relay #2
Soooo yea if the PCM is missing one of its power sources I can see it not letting anything work including everything for ignition (spark) output.

But what caused the fuse to blow?
I guess the seafoam? Seems weird but that is what seems like what happened .
Old 09-04-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Bealiebeach
I guess the seafoam? Seems weird but that is what seems like what happened .
If you didn’t submerge your car in seafoam I don’t think that would blow a fuse. Possible gunk got loose and stalled fuel pump... not likely but that’s only senario I could imagine.
Old 09-04-2018
Registered!!

i would guess that all the violent shaking and rumbling caused the wiring to bounce around quite a bit, probably an intermittent loss of connection or intermittent short. just a wild guess though

after my last sea foam incident, i kinda outgrew the stuff. this: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...ml#post4743074

thank you for coming back and reporting the fix (:
Old 09-04-2018
Registered!!

No problem thanks for the help everyone.