Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Mysterious rattle noise tried everything

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7thgenexca is an unknown quantity at this point
Mysterious rattle noise tried everything

Hey so i got a 2002 honda civic si ( ex in america i assume ) getting a weird metal on metal rattle sound extremely loud and embarrassing lol sounds like its coming from the headers really hard to tell though mostly happens on deceleration

things ive tried :
replaced donut gasket ( previous one looked toast )
replaced spring bolt kit ( really sounds like this is the issue)
added washers to springs on bolt kit to try and tighten the spring up a bit incase that was the issue 1 to 4 washers didnt help seems maybe to have quieted down though.. suspecting the spring isnt strong enough on the kit i bought maybe might try a dealership
removed all heat shields

car has been on 3 5 hour plus trips in the past month it really seems to do it during inclines on hills and around 2500 to 3500 rpms, does not do it on highways as far as i have noticed does it in all gears and neutral have a hard time replicating the noise when trying to show it to people seems as if when parked its hard to make it do it and seems to slightly do it if you pull the throttle body and rev to 3500 then let go, completely stumped been at this preiodicaly looking at it for weeks i really have no other idea

also no it isnt the cat or o2 sensors o2 sensors are tight and its running a test pipe

all ive found on google so far is possibly the fuel grade but i doubt that.

no mods done to it bone stock beyond cat delete
Old 08-25-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mysterious rattle noise tried everything

I can't hear anything. (hint)
Old 08-25-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Metal on metal sound very nondescript , does it sound more like a buzz, a ping, or like a sledgehammer hitting railroad tracks...
Old 08-25-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Metal on metal sound very nondescript , does it sound more like a buzz, a ping, or like a sledgehammer hitting railroad tracks...
buzz but sorta pingy, i just was looking at the exhaust diagram and found a heat shield i missed ill post part number below went under neath found it rotted away from 1 bolt and semed to be sitting on my shifter cables which come to think of it have had some weird noised coming through my shifter occasionally, anyways took that off but not leaving for a few hours and was in between doing things when i saw the diagram hopefully that was the source of the rattle will know later

74252-S5A-000

Old 08-25-2018
Registered!!

Noise is still there
Old 08-25-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

We still cant hear anything (HINT)
Old 08-25-2018
Registered!!

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
boredom got the best of me so i took the whole exhaust off the car from the manifold, looks like its doublle walled or something because it cracked on the inside of the exhaust right where it bolts to the manifold i took my o2 sensor out and stuck my welder down the down pipe and welded the crack up and put her back up and its gone so if anybody has a buzz up front on a 01 to 05 ex or si coupe that is your issue friends
Old 08-25-2018

Still no video so we all can hear it?