Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2004 Civic dies immediately after starting

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pfurrie is an unknown quantity at this point
2004 Civic dies immediately after starting

Car type: 2004 Honda Civic LX
Miles: 266,000

Symptom: Car will start for about 2 to 3 seconds, then putter to a stop as if there is no fuel. The back of the car has a strong gasoline smell. When key is in the ignition position, the fuel pump can be heard running for several seconds (until it is up to pressure).

This started one day when I was leaving work to get lunch. The car started normally and I had driving about a block when the engine power died, as if there were no fuel; the problem came on suddenly. I pulled the car over and attempted to restart it, but had the problem outlined in the previous paragraph. The fuel level in the car is slightly above half a tank.

In troubleshooting, we attempted to keep the car running by spraying starting fluid in the throttle body while someone turned the car over. This did not make the car run any better... if anything, it was worse.

Connecting an ODBII reader on the car shows just one code: P0135. This suggests a problem with the upper O2 sensor. However, we've had a check engine light lit for over a year, and the O2 sensor was what was found with the reader at that time. The sensor is mounted in the exhaust manifold. The manifold has had a crack in it for some time now, which creates a throaty noise from the engine when it is revving. The crack is very near the O2 sensor, and I'd guessed that the sensor problem might be due to the presence of the crack, but I'd not confirmed. But since the car was otherwise running fine, I dismissed the possible O2 sensor failure as a non-issue.

No other ODBII codes are present.

We're scratching our heads on this. Could it be a bad O2 sensor? If so, why was the car working for so long with that O2 sensor code? Something else? Thoughts?
Old 07-29-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: 2004 Civic dies immediately after starting

99% your timing belt jumped two or more teeth.

You can remove your valve cover bolts without disconnecting everything and pop it up enough to pull upper timing cover off.

Old 07-29-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,129 Likes on 943 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic

You can remove your valve cover bolts without disconnecting everything and pop it up enough to pull cover off.

This
Old 07-29-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic

You can remove your valve cover bolts without disconnecting everything and pop it up enough to pull upper timing cover off.
Interesting. A friend of mine suggested that as a possible problem as well.

What would cause something like that to have happened? I could get the timing belt back in time, but if I don't address the root cause, this could just spontaneously happen again. The current timing belt has approx 74K miles on it (installed at a Honda dealership with Honda parts).

Should I or would I have heard some audible indicator of the slippage when I was driving?
Old 07-29-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Usual suspects would be belt stretch due to use / age, broken tensioner or tensioner spring, loose bolt getting caught.

Unusual would be siezing camshaft, wobbled waterpump, hydrolock (fuel or water), pre-ignition event, or a Gremlin got you.

Not going to hear a noise since belt is rubber.

If it did jump, I would closely inspect camshaft caps for signs of overheating discoloration ( very noticible) inspect spark plugs, check compression, and use a dial indicator on the camshaft before spending money on complete timing belt job.
Old 07-30-2018
Registered!!

I haven't had a chance to open up the engine, but did run across this on YouTube. The symptoms he shows in the video are *exactly* what I'm experiencing. The video is great, and he goes through all the troubleshooting steps to come up with a solid conclusion.

Spoiler: it is the timing belt off by one tooth

Old 07-30-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If you haven't already taken it apart ......Just unplug the cam sensor and see if it will run longer than 2 seconds.

If it does run then SHUT IT OFF and confirm it jumped time. Then figure out why.