Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Crank No start fixed, but acting funny

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alfie17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Crank No start fixed, but acting funny

Hello all,

I have been using and reading this forum since i got my 2005 civic LX se 5spd about 7 years ago, I bought it with ~70k miles and now it has ~160k, stock everything no mods.

Back story of the issue:

Last year i did a timing belt (Gates), and tensioner (Honda) and everything went smooth. Fast forward to 1 week ago. The car died on my way home from work, stalled when i came to a stop in mid boston traffic! it was a clean stall, i didn't feel anything until i tried to go, car would crank but not start so i got it to start by pressing the gas pedal but would stall as soon as i released it, so i got it towed home. No CEL

Once home i unplugged the crank sensor and the car started up but idle roughly so i shut it down checked the timing marks and it was off by about 1 tooth. I removed the upper timing belt cover to see that the rubber seal of the lower timing belt cover had come loose and i figured thats what cause my issue. I also had a lot of oil around my crank sensor. I replace everything again belt (gates), tensioner, cranksensor, oil pump o-ring and seal, oil pan gasket, cam seal, and valve cover gasket (everything HONDA including sensor), and i got a new alternator under warranty from autozone, and i put a new battery (old one was dated 2011).

after about 2 days of work, i go to crank the motor and it started but idle rough, i let it sit for 10 mins hoping the relearn would fix it but nothing. I shut it down and tried to start it again, but it would just crank... i had to step on the gas to started. I rechecked the timing marks and they were good. I undid everything and rechecked my work and everything was good, i clean the connectors to both sensors and replaced the CAM sensor and still cranks but no start.

THIS IS THE WEIRD PART:

I decided to check fuel pressure (i could hear the pump priming) i disconnected the line by the firewall and fuel came out, i plugged my pressure gauge and it read 45psi. so i plugged the line back in, tried starting it again and VIOLA it started, idle smoothly (~600 RPM), turn it on and off a couple of times no issues. Took it for a test drive, stalled at my first stop, turned it on, and didnt stall again. Next day i drive it down the highway and everything was perfect for about 2 days, yesterday when i tried to start it, it took like 4 seconds to crank (normally takes 1) but it started and didnt stall at all on my way home. Now its starting fine again.

Im nervous to drive the car since I feel like i haven't really fixed the issue... can anyone point me in the right direction? I dont want to get stranded somewhere again. Can this be a rare fuel pump issue?

things i have done to the car recently:

-New exhaust manifold from ebay because it was cracked (3 months ago)
-New valve seals (3 months ago)
-Clean throttle body, EGR valve, IACV all with new honda gaskets (1 month ago)
-New Android auto headunit (2 weeks ago)
Sorry for the long post:
SORRY FOR THE LONG POST!
Old 07-19-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: Crank No start fixed, but acting funny

I would undo and clean all your grounds.

Try to get live data monitor and check your air and water temperature readings.
Old 07-19-2018
Registered!!

Fuel trim levels indicate is running a little rich, around -5 for both short term and long term. Alternator putting 14.3v at idle. How long does the relearn procedure take? Could it be running rich because it's still "learning"
Old 07-20-2018
Registered!!

Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Did you follow idle learn? Everything off, start car, let idle till fans come on a second time, remove key. Restart and drive?
Old 07-20-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

You need to check things while the problem is acting up.
Flooring the gas pedal to get it started is a clue that it's probably flooding. On your scanner data list, what is the ECT reading during cranking?

If your scanner can make a recording of data while the car won't start that would be pretty handy.
Same goes for fuel pressure.
Old 07-20-2018
Registered!!

Ect is the coolant temp correct? I'll check once I get home, the car has been starting right up the last 6 or so starts through our 2 days. Would bad o2 sensors make the car run slightly rich without giving a CEL?
Old 07-20-2018
Registered!!

Also, I have tried the idle relearn and it seems to idle fine. I know in some car you have to do a hard "reset" after u change something like a cat something like :
Disconnect battery, let car sit for 10 mins or so.
touch positive and ground together to completely drain the the car of power. And it'll completely wipe all the memory off the computer... is that necessary in these cars? Or is disconnecting the ground cable off battery enough?
Old 07-20-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Ect is the coolant temp correct?
Yes
Would bad o2 sensors make the car run slightly rich without giving a CEL?
I wouldn't be worrying about -5% yet, the PCM has fuel control.
+/- 10% fuel control is within the acceptable range.

You could disconnect the O2 sensors (Yes that would set fault codes) to force the PCM to stop making fuel trim adjustments.
and it seems to idle fine.
Your (random stalling?) problem seems to have nothing to do with idle learning IMO
Old 07-21-2018
Registered!!

I got some of the live data and nothing seems out of the ordinary... the car has been running perfect the last 2 days, started right up everytime and did not stall at all... idk why it stalled once after the new timing belt but it all seems to well now, maybe the new crank sensor needed some time to adjust? Is that the reason why they say "never disconnect this sensor" when doing the timing belt? Also, what the ECT should be reading at idle? The ECT did fluctuate from 190F to about 200F and then back down to 190F
here's some pictures of the live data

Old 07-22-2018
Registered!!

Normal for ECT to fluctuate as coolant gets pumped around, you looking for values that don’t make sense such as 200 on a cold start.

Most likely your gremlin got bored with your car and is heading my way..
Old 07-22-2018

Originally Posted by Alfie17
the live data and nothing seems out of the ordinary... the car has been running perfect
And you probably won't find anything unusual as long as it's running good.

maybe the new crank sensor needed some time to adjust?
No.
Is that the reason why they say "never disconnect this sensor" when doing the timing belt?
It's because disconnecting it just invites connection and terminal problems.
Also, what the ECT should be reading at idle?
Whatever the actual coolant temperature is as it exits the cylinder head.

On a stone cold keyup (sitting overnight, before the sun warms up anything) the ECT and IAT should read within just a couple degrees of each other.

Does your MAP sensor display in volts? Looking for under 0.9v at idle in park/neutral with all electrical loads turned off. Much above that could be a clue about tight valves or sticking egr and the neg trim numbers you have.
Old 07-23-2018
Registered!!

I finally got around to checking the following:
ECT and IAT first thing in the morning: 80F (which was the temp outside)

My MAP sensor display only reads in inHg which at idle this morning was 10inHg... i dont really know how to interpret that data. Can i test volts right from the sensor connection with a voltmeter?
Old 07-23-2018

Can i test volts right from the sensor connection with a voltmeter?
By backprobing, yes.
I just have my scanner setup to display MAP in volts so that's what I'm used to seeing. I can't convert it to the other 5+ scales in my head LOL

You might check out this thread too, sounds a bit similar to yours? (LINK) https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...-starting.html