Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Starting and stalling issues. Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brownmiata is an unknown quantity at this point
Starting and stalling issues. Please help!

Hello civic fourms!

I had a issue with my mothers civic. It's a 04 lx sedan 1.7l no vtech. She was drving and said it hesitated though a corner and then she said it was at a loss of power then it shut down. I instantly thought that it was a fuel issue but the pump seems to be okay, after taking out the back seat and listening to the fuel pump hum. Then I proceed to take off the valve cover and replace the spark plugs and cover gasket because cover gasket is a big deal when workin on Miatas and causes low oil pressure and a leak. So about this time I realized there was a oil leak from the guys that changed the oil (oil filter was totally loose) so I tightened it and put everything back together. Nothing. I read more about the egr. Cleaned that up. Nothing. I then read if it was fuel then I would continue to run when starter fluid was sprayed in. All I got was a fireball coming out of the butterfly valve and a loud pow. All while it stalled.

I'm assuming the only thing left is the timing. Could it have jumped just from normal driving. I'm sure it's over due the car was never taken much an has 230k on a 04

Now if I have to do that it's no big deal to me i just want to know that's it before I take it all apart. I have never done much work on this car but thought I would get acquainted with this fourm because I'm gonna get a 97 accord ( I know civic fourm) and I like to read about the cars!

Thanks for all your help in advance!
Matthew (Brownmiata)
Old 10-13-2012
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Starting and stalling issues. Please help!

Does it start a stay running or start and shut right back down again?

If it starts and shuts right back down, then the timing belt could have skipped a tooth or two.
Old 10-13-2012
Registered!!

It will start and run for 2 seconds (almost exactly). If it was timing would it be this exact? Is there a issue with any relays or anything? Also the timing belt looks good from what I can tell but then again I'm no expert!
Old 10-13-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If it was timing would it be this exact?
Yes, exactly.

After the engine starts, the PCM checks cam/crank correlation. If its out too far it will shut itself off and will not code.

Unplug the cam sensor and try to start it. If it runs its out of time. Shut it off, do NOT try to run it any longer. Find out WHY it is out of time.

Also the timing belt looks good from what I can tell but then again I'm no expert!
The condition of the belt that you can see does not matter one bit at the moment. Cam/crank timing is what matters. Replace the timing belt while you are in there finding out what happened.
Old 10-13-2012
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

it would have been easy to check the timing while you had the valve cover off, all you would have needed to do further is remove the upper timing cover (3 bolts)

you are going to have to take the valve cover back off, remove the upper timing cover and check the marks, turn the crank to align the cam marks, then check if the crank marks line up

and BTW that "starting fluid" is a rod and bearing KILLER! never use that stuff!
Old 10-14-2012
Registered!!

Thank so much. I really underestimated the nicety of this forum. Most forums can be real asses. I especially thought a civic forum to be bad. But the car was out of time the timing belt skipped cause 7 teeth were missing.

It's running smoother than ever. I bought the whole kit from rpm for 150. And I'm glad I did. It's a whole different car.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 10-14-2012
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

good job
Old 10-14-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I really underestimated the nicety of this forum. Most forums can be real asses.
I am guilty. Especially after a bad day at work, and I come on a forum to find that someone had an extra helping of stupid at the breakfast table.
(Was really bad for 8 months after I quit smoking.)

7 teeth were missing.
Holeee Cow!
You are extremely lucky that it did not let go and cause catastrophic engine damage. These engines bend valves.

That belt--I would guess-- went double (or more) what it should have been replaced at.
It should have been replaced as maintenance LONG before it got anywhere close to the condition yours is in. (105k/7 years was the interval. Yours could have been original.)

I bought the whole kit from rpm for 150
What all was in the "kit"?
Some aftermarket tensioner pulleys can be serious junk, and cost you a valve job+ when it lets go.
Not trying to scare you....I only will install a factory part for this one. Too much at stake if it fails.