Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Bent Washers on Spark Plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tbroyles94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Bent Washers on Spark Plugs?

Hi, I'm new to the world of car ownership and fixing, but I successfully changed out my spark plugs (yay me) after my check engine light came on, with codes saying cylinders 2, 3, and 4 misfired. I have a 2002 Honda Civic EX. My question is that the washer/gasket/sealer bits of the spark plugs I took out from the 3 misfired cylinders were bent and stuck some length up the threads. I just wanted to check here to see if that is a an issue caused by something else that will reoccur on my new spark plugs, or just a coincidence from me taking them out? What causes bent gaskets?

This is a sharable link from my Google Drive to show a photo of what I mean. I couldn't get it to attach normally to the post, so I had to improvise...
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Az...NBahaEK2BK4ilM

Thanks for your help!
Old 07-18-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Bent Washers on Spark Plugs?

I think they are supposed to be bent or cupped to create a downward pressure. As you loosened the plug the washer probably just worked it’s way down.

What plugs did you put in? Iridium?
Old 07-18-2018
Super Moderator

Received 1,863 Likes on 1,309 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

The EGR runners are known to clog causing misfires as well. This happened on my civic a few years back, probably around 200k-225k miles.
Old 07-18-2018
Registered!!

I put in double platinum. I think it was Bosch 8112.

What are EGR runners?
Old 07-18-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Those plugs look fine, certainly not junked up enough to cause misfire issues.

Old 07-18-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,129 Likes on 943 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tbroyles94
throw out the bosh and buy the correct NGKs
NGK 3271 {#PZFR6F11}

What are EGR runners?
the passages in the intake manifold that the egr system uses
Old 07-18-2018
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Those are not the correct plugs. The ones you took out did not look correct either. Yes they are NGK but the tip looks like a resistor style plug.

Get NGK Iridium plugs and throw those Bosch in the trash.
Old 07-18-2018
Registered!!

Whats wrong with Bosch? Both the auto parts store and a website (rocket auto or something? Don't remember) said those would fit my car. I was fairly certain the ones I took out were the manufacturer recommended NGK ones, the code stamped on the side is the same.
Old 07-18-2018
Prelude Owner

Yes they fit but they are not the correct parts. Sometimes it will throw a code other times it won’t but they won’t last long. That’s my issue with parts stores and websites. They also say universal O2 sensors fit. Yes it fits in the hole but other then that they won’t work.

The plugs you pulled out match the number posted? Usually iridium plugs have small electrodes not the older flat style. This could be the cause of the mis fires. Iridium plugs are good for 100k miles.
Old 07-18-2018
Registered!!

So basically I'm fine to leave them in for now? It won't damage the car, it just won't last long? Because as a recent college grad, I have little money and no desire to throw away $20 if I don't have to for a few months.
Old 07-18-2018
Prelude Owner

You should be fine as long as you have no CEL.

Usually people buy the non iridium plugs because they are half the price.
Old 07-19-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The plugs he pulled out were standard. (# starts with Z not P or I)
The last installer went cheap, but that doesn't look like a problem so far.