Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Weird Noises - Opinions? 2003 Manual (recordings)

Old 07-13-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kochab is an unknown quantity at this point
Weird Noises - Opinions? 2003 Manual (recordings)

Car: 2003 Honda Civic LX, Manual Transmission. 170k miles
Description of noises: metallic tumbling? Intermittent, somewhat random, mostly in lower gears as rpm changes

Is this a regular car sound or should I really have this checked?

Story: Car wouldn't pass smog this year, had to spend 2k to replace a cracked cat converter. After that, the car had sounds I didn't recognize, but I shrugged and said "This must be what a new cat sounds like" and I drove off.

An oil change later, the mechanic says "Don't you hear the weird sounds?" and I said, "That's totally the sounds it was making after YOU replaced the cat."

I moved, had another mechanic look at it, and replaced the alternator. Something about bearings tumbling around?? "No more sounds?" I asked this mechanic. "No more sounds," he assured. "Well, until you turn it on" he joked.

The sounds are 50% gone. I still hear them when shifting. Strangely, I hear them less when I shift early than when I shift normally. The higher the rpm, the more the sounds seem to occur.

Video 1: Sounds occur at about :23. Low speed, low gears, in a parking lot. I delayed shifting when the sound occurred to get a good recording. Probably in second gear.

Video 2: Sounds occur throughout the video, especially as I dip toward 60mph. Highway driving, 5th gear.

Appreciate any thoughts y'all have.
Old 07-13-2018
Super Moderator

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,294 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
Re: Weird Noises - Opinions? 2003 Manual (recordings)

My first thought was it sounded like a heat shield rattling but it's kind of hard to tell in the video.

-Any idea where it's coming from? Front, back, left, right, underneath?
-Does it happen when revving the engine while not driving?
Old 07-13-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Be sure to whack on your resonator and muffler listening for rattles. Mine had a bunch of the crap from the converter blown into it. unbolted pipe and dumped the “black rock like” bits out and it was much more quite.
Old 07-13-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I can't hear squat.

You're trying to figure out some noise? WWSWD? (What Would Stevie Wonder Do?)