Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Type of Power Steering Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A A ron is an unknown quantity at this point
Type of Power Steering Fluid

hey guys,

I'm shopping around for power steering fluid, as I will be completing a flush here very soon. My question is, should I stick with OEM or could I use some Prestone that's mean't for imports. Link is below. I would just like to save some money. Thoughts and experiences with both would be appreciated.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Prestone-...Fluid/20850664

And what type of power steering fluid does a 2001 Honda Civic Take? thanks.
Old 05-26-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Type of Power Steering Fluid

Honda PS fluid:
Amazon Amazon

Here's a better deal for three: https://www.ebay.com/i/192279208917?chn=ps

If it were just a a top up that needed a few ounces then perhaps the Prestone. However, for a complete drain and fill it's better to go with the Honda genuine fluid.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 05-26-2018 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-27-2018
Banned

onetwoothreee is an unknown quantity at this point

I recommend using "Honda Power Steering Fluid" in a grey bottle; it should be < $5.00 anywhere you find it. If you use a turkey baster (cheap and easy) you'll see a mesh screen about halfway into the reservoir that catches whatever particulates have built up in the system. If you empty everything above the mesh screen twice, that should be about 1 bottle. I flushed mine with 3 over a few weeks and it started making noise (2004 Honda Civic). Turns out it was an o-ring on the pump that tends to go bad anyway (small orange o-ring, can find on eBay). If I had to do it over again, I would have stopped at one bottle and left it alone. No discernible difference behind the wheel after that one, but it did quiet the pump and make the steering feel smoother. Make sure you slowly turn the wheel lock to lock a few times after you do it and re-check the level.
Old 05-29-2018
Registered!!

A A ron is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, I really appreiciate the advice you guys have given me. Today I have attempted to change the power steering fluid. However, I'm ill confident on where the return line is, and how to change it out. I wanted to do a complete flush.

PS: I saw a ChrisFix video on how to change the power steering fluid. Do I also follow similar procedure? Also, a picture of the return line or what i need to unhook would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again
Old 05-29-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Originally Posted by A A ron
PS: I saw a ChrisFix video on how to change the power steering fluid. Do I also follow similar procedure? Also, a picture of the return line or what i need to unhook would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again
I love his video on refilling your headlights, reminds me to buy another bottle of headlight fluid for the summer.