Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

'03 Honda civic starts then shuts off

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carsconfuseme is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy '03 Honda civic starts then shuts off

So, my check engine light had come on while i was driving my Civic on Friday and I didn't think too much of it until I turned a corner 15 minutes later and my car shut off. When I tried to restart my car, it would start for about 3 seconds and immediately shut back off. The accelerated doesn't rev the engine at all. I used an OBD2 scanner and it was a code P0361 I believe, and said something about the camshaft position sensor. So, thinking that was the problem, I changed the sensor and it didn't fix anything. At all. It does the same exact thing, starts then goes silent. I sent my car to a mechanic but so far they aren't sure what's wrong with it yet either. Do any of you have any ideas? I'm getting more anxious the more I wait to hear back about my car. I'm a college student and it's my only way around.
Old 04-16-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: '03 Honda civic starts then shuts off

not a diy, not an 8th gen...

moved.

If the mechanic can't figure it out you may need a new mechanic. Is the engine still timed properly?
Old 04-16-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: '03 Honda civic starts then shuts off

I sent my car to a mechanic but so far they aren't sure what's wrong with it yet either.
Mechanic is broken. Replace mechanic.

Is that a CNG (GX) car? LX? EX? SI? Which engine is in it?
What's the actual code number? (P0361 is not in the list of codes for that year car)

Is the cam timing incorrect?
if it will run more than 2 seconds with the cam sensor unplugged, DO NOT RUN IT...It's probably jumped time or broke the tensioner spring.