Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car not staring and still overheating

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dez124 is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Car not staring and still overheating

A couple of days ago I had my thermostat changed and the next day it started overheating again so I assumed it was a faulty thermostat, so again I changed it again. After changing it again I drove it a couple blocks and started again. I turned off the car to check it and now it won't start. It clicks but does not switch over. Also with my overheating, the car will blow out cold air even if the car is warmed up for a good 10 driving then it'd turn to heat (sometimes it'd go back and forth blowing cold and hot air) and it'd start overheating shortly after. Any ideas?

I have a 2002 Honda Civic ex
Old 12-08-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car not staring and still overheating

Did you properly fill and bleed the coolant system? The cold-then-hot air thing suggests you have air bubbles

Any evidence of coolant leakage otherwise?
Old 12-08-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dez124 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Did you properly fill and bleed the coolant system? The cold-then-hot air thing suggests you have air bubbles

Any evidence of coolant leakage otherwise?

No, didn’t know i had to do that. And no didn’t see anything else of coolant leakage. When i had the T Stat changed the first time and i went to replace it again, i saw coolant sorta like sitting where the thermostat was.
Old 12-08-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Fill radiator to the top
Leave cap off
Have someone crank it while you watch

Did the coolant come up out of the radiator like a geyser?
Old 12-08-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dez124
No, didn’t know i had to do that. And no didn’t see anything else of coolant leakage. When i had the T Stat changed the first time and i went to replace it again, i saw coolant sorta like sitting where the thermostat was.
yep, gotta bleed the system. It's technically a closed system (exception being when pressure builds up too much and coolant enters the overflow tank), so when you open said system, you're introducing air. Air in that system isn't a good thing, as it impedes heat transfer.

When you follow ezone's instructions, leave the car running (heater full blast) and refill your radiator as necessary. Once the bubbles stop for a good long time, recap and shut 'er down. Might take 15 minutes or so. Best to do it with the nose of your car elevated (e.g. pulled into a driveway)