Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

hard staring once warm and once started white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dem0nk1d is an unknown quantity at this point
hard staring once warm and once started white smoke

rebuilt block, all new gaskets, seals the whole 9. now i've finally got this new engine running. first failure was the intake manifold was slightly different than the oem version. the gasket i used didn't have the holes for the egr passage way in the intake manifold flange. once i discovered this was an issue i changed it out with the old gasket. Now once changed out i got rid of the Egr flow code P401. Success!! Drove it around the block, and then had to bleed the coolant system of some air. No biggie...

On cold start ups no issues at all. But once the engine has been ran for sometime and lets say i make quick pit stop and hop back into the car. It has a very hard time starting. All most like to much fuel, but once it starts after giving it some gas there is a nice white cloud of smoke... So what do you think it could be? Where should I look next?

Old 12-07-2012
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: hard staring once warm and once started white smoke

hard starting when warm is sometime the result of a poor ground, check all your ground connections for rust and/or corrosion
Old 12-07-2012
Registered!!

once it starts, as it seems like it's flooded.... it will fire up idle terrible, i have to give it gas, then evens out... but white smoke. i would think the headgasket didn't seal properly.

will have to do a leak down test, or at least a compression test

**is it possible the gasket on the side of the head that houses the egr valve and the thermostat is leaking into the EGR valve? i'm wondering if this is possible. **

Last edited by dem0nk1d; 12-07-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-07-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Yea, I would check your head gasket. White smoke would be your coolant burning off, and since you just did that, it might have not seated properly.
Old 12-07-2012
Registered!!

is there a max torque setting you guys recommend for the head gasket? The head was machined, and the block decked, bored, honed, new bearings etc... So i know both surfaces are perfect. No signs of over heating.
Old 12-07-2012
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dem0nk1d
is there a max torque setting you guys recommend for the head gasket? The head was machined, and the block decked, bored, honed, new bearings etc... So i know both surfaces are perfect. No signs of over heating.
the head bolts need to be torqued gradually and evenly in a specific pattern until you reach the final torque spec, not sure off hand what that is, dont have my manual with me,

you should be torquing them gradually though, like all of them to 5 foot pounds, then all of them to 10 foot pounds etc etc,
Old 12-07-2012
Registered!!

Name:  head_bolt_torque.png
Views: 171
Size:  109.6 KB
Old 12-08-2012
Registered!!

i guess what am i asking is can i go over the recommended setting of 49, thinking maybe add 2 more lbs and maybe it will fix the issue.
Old 12-09-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by dem0nk1d
i guess what am i asking is can i go over the recommended setting of 49, thinking maybe add 2 more lbs and maybe it will fix the issue.
no i dont think that will help,

you will be risking stripping the bolts and/or crushing the gasket,

did you torque them gradually in the pattern?
Old 12-09-2012
Registered!!

i went by the book, from a-z. so yes i torqued them correctly. i pulled the head this afternoon. found some milky residue in the valve cover. so the guys on the d-series recommended going 100% oem headgasket, and this should fix the issue. also couldnt find signs of failure with the used / new gasket only 200 miles on it.
Old 12-09-2012
Registered!!

Name:  20121209_140102.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  114.9 KB
Name:  20121209_104206.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  83.8 KB