Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Headgasket replace or new motor ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Headgasket replace or new motor ?

Headgasket blew on my 04 Civic with 98k 1.7L on it. Which would be better replacing it or the swapping in new motor ? A lot of shops won’t even give me a quote bc they said they just place the motor in it bc the bottom end would eventually go out. The tempurature never got over 3/4 on the temp gauge. Compression is still good in it. Forgot the actual numbers.

Last edited by Newbie Civic; 10-09-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-09-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Headgasket replace or new motor ?

I'll do head gaskets all day long.

Any used engine you get will probably need a head gasket too.
Old 10-09-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie Civic is an unknown quantity at this point

That’s what I was going to do just wanted to ask other Honda owners their opinions thanks !
Old 10-09-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Newbie Civic
That’s what I was going to do just wanted to ask other Honda owners their opinions thanks !
I'm not your average owner here.

The main times I don't want to do a head gasket job is when an owner overheated the engine and kept on trying to drive it until it quit running on its own.
Or if it's been hydrolocked.
Or if it's been mixing coolant in the oil and slowly eating the bearings.

There's always the possibility of finding out stuff that can't be predicted (see riceboy's thread), you just have to take it apart to find out if there's a good reason to not fix what you have.
Old 10-17-2017
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
dsm482 has a spectacular aura aboutdsm482 has a spectacular aura about

or you can start burning oil after headgasket because oil rings got stuck
Old 10-17-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezone
There's always the possibility of finding out stuff that can't be predicted (see riceboy's thread), you just have to take it apart to find out if there's a good reason to not fix what you have.

Car pronounced dead

Cause of death